Author Topic: Amos Sedgebeer  (Read 2076 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Amos Sedgebeer
« on: Saturday 13 September 14 17:06 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Amos Sedgebeer (Sedgebear, Sedgebere etc).   At present I know that he married Hannah Taylor 26 Dec 1772 in Porlock and they had 5 sons all baptised in Selworthy.   After Hannah's death in 1803 he married Joan Giles 16 Jun 1804 in Selworthy and they had a son, Robert.   Amos was buried in Selworthy 23 Mar 1827 at the age of 82 at the time he was living in Allerford.   His age at death puts his date of birth around 1745.

I am most interested to discover his date and place of birth, parents, siblings and anything to do with his early life.

Thanks, Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Amos Sedgebeer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hello davierj,

The first mention of Amos Sedgebeer in the parish registers of Selworthy seems to be the baptism of his son, John Sedgbury, on 28/11/1773. The registers have been transcribed by Martin Southwood and are online:

http://www.wsom.org.uk/Parreg.html

There are references to the Sedgebeer name in Selworthy on Ancestry but these are for a later period than the 1740s/1750s. The name seems to be found in some Devon parishes.

The only discrepancy I found in the registers was for the 1804 marriage which is shown as to Joan Hawkins, a widow.

It appears that Amos and family came from elsewhere. Rather than duplicate the research you have done, which surrounding areas have you looked at for them?

Jo.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Amos Sedgebeer
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 September 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,
I think I'm OK on Amos subsequent to his first marriage but I have been unable to find any reference to his birth/baptism, parents and any siblings.   The Parish Records for West Somerset are quite comprehensive online which leads me think he may have originated from outside the area of coverage.   Unfortunately also both Ancestry and Family Search have no information either.

Any help in discovering his forebears and contemporaries greatly appreciated.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire