Author Topic: Ephraim Taylor 1750 Newark, New Jersey  (Read 657 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ephraim Taylor 1750 Newark, New Jersey
« on: Friday 28 November 14 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
         I have a very good DNA match with a Taylor member in the US. I wont mention has name as he is a living person, but I have traced his ancestry to a Jacob Taylor that died 1805 Morris County, New Jersey. This Jacob owned land at Pequanock and he had a large family. Taylortown Morris Coy was very likely named after his family members.
      David Ogden former Judge from Newark owned land adjoining Jacob Taylor and it would appear that there may have been a vandetta between the families. jacob is in court on two instances , the first 1770 for knocking down the fence and alowing his cattle into Ogden's hay, the next 1788 when the Ogdens tried to have Jacob evicted from his land.
       Jacob's eldest son was Ephraim, I am certain that this indicates that Jacobs father was most likely named Ephraim. Again with reference to court cases, An Ephraim Taylor Snr is in court in Newark NJ, in 1750 with the threat of eviction from his property of 1000 acres at Short Hills  Essex Co.
 The attorney appointed in the case against Ephraim is David Ogden.
  This provides a connection between Jacob and the Ephraim Taylor at Newark and provides a reason for the ill feeling between Jacob and the Ogdens later at Paquanock.
   I am certain that this Ephraim Taylor Snr must be Jacob Taylor's father. I have found a death of a Thomas Taylor in Newark 25 Sept 1784 in which he names his father as Ephraim Taylor who was still living at the time of his death. This would be Ephraim Taylor Jnr from the 1750 court case.
   i estimate that the Ephraim Taylor snr was most likely born about 1705.
   I do not know if he was the immigrant or whethr he was the son of an immigrant.
   What I am trying to determine is when Ephraim taylor or his family before him arrived in the US and where did they originate from.
   The biblical names might indicate a connection with the Society of Friends (Quakers) . A later descendent of Jacob's did marry a descendent of a passenger named in one of William Penns ships.
 William Penn and his associates also held large tracts of land in New Jersey.
   I have one other reference to Ephraim Taylor, 10 Apr 1746 he signed a petition to the General Assembly by freeholders and inhabitants of Essex Co seeking a repeal of acts preserving timber etc.
    Any assistance in tracing this family of Taylors and their origins would be very much appreciated.
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ephraim Taylor 1750 Newark, New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 November 14 21:15 GMT (UK) »
I have another reference to Ephraim Taylor in Newark New Jersey. This is very likely the Ephraim in the above death for Thomas, and Ephraim Taylor Jr from the court case.
Name: Epheriam Taylor
State: NJ
County: Essex County
Township: Newark Township
Year: 1779
Record Type: January Tax List
Page: 030
Database: NJ Early Census Index

Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar