Author Topic: Cruickshank and Masson - 2 mysteries  (Read 17093 times)

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cruickshank and Masson - 2 mysteries
« on: Saturday 24 March 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I have hit a brickwall in my family history research and wondered if by chance anyone out there had any suggestions, or even any information.

Looking for info on my great, great Grandfather, said to be Alexander Cruickshank, farm labourer.   My great grandfather (Adam Cruickshank) was born to Barbara Shearer in Forgue in 1855.  No mention is made of the father on the birth certificate, but later my greatgrandfather, who was registered as Adam Shearer, was listed on the Census of 1861 with the name Cruickshank, and he also gives Alexander Cruickshank, farm servant, deceased as the name of his father for his marriage certificate.  Given that he was born in 1855, and we believe his father to have been killed in a farm accident, I would have hoped to have been able to track down the death certificate of his father.   I have searched in various places for clues - graveyard m.i.s, civil registration, contacted National Archives to ask about Kirk Session records etc but nothing I can pin down.

There is then a mystery in the next generation.  My great grandfather married Helen Masson in Aberdeen in 1895, and I have tracked down their marriage certificate.   My grandfather was born in 1895 a few months later.   The family story goes that my great grandmother ran off and left my grandfather as a baby, and she died some time later.   My great grandfather refused to go to her funeral.   I am surmising that she died in Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire but so far have not found her death registration, despite searching for every version of her name, both married and single, that I can think of.

So, if anyone has any information on Cruickshanks in Forgue/surrounding area around 1850-60, or Massons (Helen's father was a seaman) in Aberdeen around 1890/1915, I would be interested to hear, also if anyone has any further suggestions for research.

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cruickshank and Masson - 2 mysteries
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

CAn you please state the name of your grandfather and where he was born in 1885

Where was your great grandparents married?

Norma

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 12 21:49 BST (UK) »
Great-grandfather Adam Shearer born July 1855 illegitimately to Barbara Shearer in Forgue, Aberdeenshire - no mention of father.   Have enquired at National Archives to see if any mention in Kirk Session records of censure for Barbara, but nothing appears.   Great Grandfather appears next in census of 1861, but recorded as Adam Cruickshank, scholar, aged 5, living with grandmother (Barbara, his mother is not there at time).  Also gives his name as Adam Cruickshank, coachman, at his marriage in 1895, his parents being Barbara Shearer, now wife of John Finnie, and Alexander Cruickshank, farm labourer, deceased.   The family story is that his father, Alexander Cruickshank, was to marry Barbara Shearer, but he died after falling from a farm cart, so no marriage took place.

Second part of the mystery is what happened to the woman my greatgrandfather Adam Cruickshank then married in 1895.   She (Helen Masson, daughter of a merchant seaman from Aberdeen) was then 19 and he was 39 but the ages on their marriage certificate are given as 23 and 36.   The family story is that she ran off and left Adam Cruickshank soon after the birth of my grandfather in 1895, and apparently died 'soon after'.   Despite searches in the death registers, I cannot find her death under any variation or combination her name might have appeared in.   She must be in a register somewhere as her death would have taken place when civil registration was well established.

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi I found Adam Cruickshank on the 1901 census but he was on his own.

What was the name of your grandfather and where did Adam and Helen marry?

Norma

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 March 12 23:43 BST (UK) »
If the Adam Cruickshank you have found in 1901 is alone, and in Aberdeen, that would be my great-grandfather - I imagine he had to live in for his work, and family friends brought up my grandfather to a great degree, though my greatgrandfather appeared to be closely involved with my grandfather's live, though he did not live under the same roof.   From memory Adam, my greatgrandfather and Helen married in 1895 in Aberdeen.   I have downloaded the certificate.   It seems strange to me that I cannot find her death registration, though I have searched every combination of her single name, married name, her Christian name Helen and variations (Nell, Nellie) I can think of.  No death registration seems to fit.   I do wonder if she committed suicide - and I have wondered about postnatal depression - which I am sure would have been brushed under the carpet in those days.  I have wondered if she died at a young age, would her mother have had her buried with her father (who I think was dead by that time).   I know he died in Aberdeen, but I haven't discovered which cemetary.   If I could find that out, perhaps I could consult the lair records, which might show Helen's burial (or not...)

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 March 12 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

If I was you I would firstly try and find Helen and her parents on the census before her marriage to Adam. This will then let you know her age and where abouts the family resided in Aberdeen.

Have you checked for a will for her father as this may lead you to his death cert and help you find where he may be buried

If you do not know when Helen died have you considered that she may have married again before her death? perhaps your grandfather was just told she died to explain why his mum was not around when he was growing up.

just some thoughts

Norma

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 12 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for suggestions.   Have details on Helen and her family, date of death of father and mother.   No sign of will for father.   Any ideas on shortcut to find where father buried.   Not on death certificate.

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 06:55 BST (UK) »
What was Helens fathers usual residence when he died and what was his name?

Norma

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 09:37 BST (UK) »
There is a Margaret Shearer in the Forgue Kirk Session minutes, who appears in January 1856 having had a child.  She accuses George Gammie of being the father.  Margaret is from Bankhead in Forgue parish and George from Mellinside, Culsalmond.  He admits to being the father.  No other Shearer's that I could spot though.