Author Topic: Cruickshank and Masson - 2 mysteries  (Read 17094 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Cruickshank and Masson - 2 mysteries
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm. I have a Margaret Phinn who had several illegitimate children. The eldest was George Gammie, born 1854 in Mortlach, and named after his father. I wonder if it's the same George Gammie?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 19:55 BST (UK) »
If you could give us the name of your grandfather it would help us trace him in the 1901 census. He may still be living with his mother. Adam was working as a coachman & that would explain why he's not with his family on the day of the census.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
This is all getting very interesting - though not necessarily going towards finding out about my great-great grandfather or my elusive great grandmother!

Thanks to all for comments and suggestions, strangely they have perhaps added towards some more branches of the family tree I am drawing up for my family and for that of my husbands family.

My grandfather was James Cruickshank, but I have already tracked him down in the census of 1901, in Aberdeen, living with a lady and her daughter, whom he called Granny and Auntie, but were not blood relatives - the assocation with this lady and her family continued into the next generation.

Helen's father was Alexander Masson, a merchant seaman, who died in 1880, in Aberdeen, address at death was 50 Virginia Street, Aberdeen.

Interestingly, I think the Margaret Shearer Archivos mentions may be the sister of Barbara Shearer - her address is given on my greatgrandfathers birth certificate as Bankhead, Forgue.  The name Gammie appears in my husbands family tree, and a Gammie is the witness to the baptism of Barbara Shearers sister a generation before.   Strange to think that our families may have already been linked 150 years ago!   Having said that, though, I have discovered instances where my family tree is linked to someone else's tree by two completely separate branches - just goes to show that we are all really one family.   I did an enquiry at National Archives  a few years back to see if there was any mention of Barbara Shearer in the Kirk Session minutes  but there appeared to be nothing.   I suppose if Alexander Cruickshank, who was later claimed to be the father, had died, but it was generally accepted he was the father and may have even been intending to marry Barbara, then no such censure may have taken place.

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

bit of a long shot but have you contacted Aberdeen Family History Society to see if Alexander Masson was buried in Trinity cemetry. They hold unpublishd MIs for that cemetry and it is relatively close to Virginia Street.

Norma

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
I suppose if Alexander Cruickshank, who was later claimed to be the father, had died, but it was generally accepted he was the father and may have even been intending to marry Barbara, then no such censure may have taken place.

I wouldn't bet on that. I've seen plenty of cases in various kirk session records where the fact that the couple had been anticipating their vows did not become apparent until after they were married. In spite of that, they were still hauled up and admonished for (in these cases) antenuptial fornication.

The mere fact that her partner had died would not, on its own, be enough to acquit her of the 'sin', though it might have made the session treat her with a bit of leniency.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
I have hit a brickwall in my family history research and wondered if by chance anyone out there had any suggestions, or even any information.

Looking for info on my great, great Grandfather, said to be Alexander Cruickshank, farm labourer.   My great grandfather (Adam Cruickshank) was born to Barbara Shearer in Forgue in 1855.  No mention is made of the father on the birth certificate, but later my greatgrandfather, who was registered as Adam Shearer, was listed on the Census of 1861 with the name Cruickshank, and he also gives Alexander Cruickshank, farm servant, deceased as the name of his father for his marriage certificate.  Given that he was born in 1855, and we believe his father to have been killed in a farm accident, I would have hoped to have been able to track down the death certificate of his father.   I have searched in various places for clues - graveyard m.i.s, civil registration, contacted National Archives to ask about Kirk Session records etc but nothing I can pin down.

There is then a mystery in the next generation.  My great grandfather married Helen Masson in Aberdeen in 1895, and I have tracked down their marriage certificate.   My grandfather was born in 1895 a few months later.   The family story goes that my great grandmother ran off and left my grandfather as a baby, and she died some time later.   My great grandfather refused to go to her funeral.   I am surmising that she died in Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire but so far have not found her death registration, despite searching for every version of her name, both married and single, that I can think of.
Hi I may be more hindrance than help here but i will give you this info anyway My 3xg grandmother was Jean Cruickshank b 1770 Gartly and married William Mackie b 1765 Forgue so did your people  sometine live in Gartly.just a thought .Ronnie

So, if anyone has any information on Cruickshanks in Forgue/surrounding area around 1850-60, or Massons (Helen's father was a seaman) in Aberdeen around 1890/1915, I would be interested to hear, also if anyone has any further suggestions for research.

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 May 12 23:01 BST (UK) »
Ronnie

Thanks for posting info re your research.   No indication of any connection so far, but worth knowing for future reference as you never know where a link will appear.

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 May 12 21:31 BST (UK) »
ok .thanks for replying
ronnie :)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 14:21 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to another post on this Cruickshank query.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=605896.new#new
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.