Author Topic: John Davidson  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Steve Davidson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Davidson
« on: Sunday 13 July 14 15:42 BST (UK) »
I am struggling to find the birth of John Davidson and I have limited confirmed information.

John was a shipwright / seaman and I have not been able to find him on any census records. The family have connection to Aberdeen, London and Liverpool all major docks. The family can be traced to all these ports, but there is no mention of John.
John married Margaret Young in the parish of Old Machar, Aberdeen on the 31st Oct 1829. Margaret Young was from Inverness as yet I do not have any birth details for her.

I have found a birth for a  John Davidson 30th September 1805, Old Machar parents James Davidson and Elspeth Blacknall. I am not a 100% sure that this is my John Davidson, the only thing supporting this is the birth is in the same parish as the marriage and that James is a family name.

I would appreciate any support and advice which could help me locate John Davidson's birth.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Davidson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 July 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome you could try for a death certificate to see who his parents were ? did he remain in Aberdeen ...Unfortunately   the old parish records don't give you much information     

Offline Steve Davidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 July 14 19:15 BST (UK) »
Finding the death of John is not an easy task. John's family appeared on the 1841 census in St George's in the East, Middlesex and on the 1851 & 1861 census in Lancashire, John does not appear on any of the census records. By 1861 John's wife Margaret (nee Young) was a widow.

As John was a ships carpenter he could have died at sea or in Lancashire area.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi John did you check for any of the family's marriage to see what it says for the father if he was deceased or still living ...might give you a better idea when he died

Offline Steve Davidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 21:17 BST (UK) »
I have the marriage certificate of William Davidson (John's son) to Elizabeth Ann Nichols dated 27th March 1864. John is recorded as the father of the groom, his occupation is a Shipwright. There is no mention of John being deceased. On the 1851 census for West Derby, Lancashire, John's wife was recorded as a ship carpenters wife and on the 1861 census for the parish of Worsley, Lancashire John's wife Margaret was recorded as a widow

These records contradict themselves and this does not help in trying to pin down year of death for John

Offline KRennieAZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 August 14 04:08 BST (UK) »
I too am missing a John Davidson, but sadly it does not appear to be the same as yours.  Mine married Agnes Rennie Meldrum in 1904 and had parents of James Davidson and Jane (or Janet) Sheach.  After that they seem to have vanished.   Wish they were the same person  :P

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 10:56 GMT (UK) »
There's an earlier thread on this family http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=269104.0
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk