Author Topic: Clifford/Castle Frome  (Read 6434 times)

Offline rogerb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clifford/Castle Frome
« on: Wednesday 06 March 13 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone - I'm not very au fait with the various regions of Herefordshire, so I'm a bit confused with one of my findings.  If you search on Familysearch for a baptism of Vaugh* with parents Samuel and Hannah between 1800 and 1810 you get a pair of brothers - Thomas and Samuel.  However, they both seem to have been Baptised in both Clifford AND Castle Frome.

A simple google search shows these two places to be over 30 miles apart.  So can anybody offer any explanation please.

Roger

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Clifford/Castle Frome
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 11:48 GMT (UK) »
amongst the numerous reasons for this happening.......... the most likely in this case is that the grandparents lived in seperate places so the christenings took place in both so as not to offend...

the other reason is that the church of the former was closed for renovations so tother was used but the entry is recorded in both.... which i might add is not an uncommon thing in and around wiltshire / somerset for some reason....

but there may another logical explanation that eludes us all
 :)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The film number for the entry for Samuel at Castle Frome links to this entry in the library catalogue
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t2d/      That film is supposedly an index to burials  :-\

The Clifford entry is taken from Bishops Transcripts for the parish

ADDED you can check LDS film details on their library catalogue here
https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlc/library_fhlc_main.asp       (select film/fiche search)

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cnwcywig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I've noticed this curious link-up between Clifford and Castle Frome in two other unrelated families, from the 1790-1800 period.
One was a Pope/Eves marriage, the other a Jones family noticed by accident on this forum.

Could there be some kind of glitch in the Family Search computer which has resulted in false double entries for the two parishes?

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
whatever the glitch is on the site   Rosie seems to get to the bottom of them...  as we had one the other day for Redlynch in Wilts versus Barking in Essex.....

;)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 October 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
I too have the same puzzle with these two places. A marriage in my research (Thomas Beavan & Priscilla Williams 1807) is shown on Family Search as taking place in Castle Frome but I am pretty sure that when I visited Hereford record office to look the parish registers the marriage was shown as taking place in Clifford. I do not have my data to hand but from memory the bride was from Clifford so  it would seen likely that she would marry in Clifford.  Can anyone throw any light on this for me? Thanks for reading

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 23:51 BST (UK) »
if you have ever seen say for example Phillimore entries....>

Mr Male of p. wherever bach. & Miss Female of p. wherever [married] on x day month year.

So the entries of fs.o being entered twice are giving you the clue, and as male comes before female in the marriages of UK then usually the entry  of the male is the actual place of marriage but not always.
So then one checks the microfilm reference number at the bottom of the page on the fs.o, and after 1837 with the regindex to confirm....

the regindex is found on genuki in the form of a pdf done by Brett Langston and is very useful as something on your pc all the time....

so say the marriage happened in Tisbury Wilts on the freebmd site but the marriage appeared in Hindon Wilts on the fs.o then it is of the same , and in the case of WIltshire one checks with Wiltshire BMD....

if it is before 1837 check the microfilm reference number against fs.o site or Hugh Wallis on freepages of anc......
also one sometimes can check against British Newspaper Archive if the marriage was published...
hope I covered that well enuff for u..... :)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
I too have the same puzzle with these two places. A marriage in my research (Thomas Beavan & Priscilla Williams 1807) is shown on Family Search as taking place in Castle Frome but I am pretty sure that when I visited Hereford record office to look the parish registers the marriage was shown as taking place in Clifford.

You would need to look at the original entry.  The transcript that I have seen on familysearch for this marriage is  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NFVQ-N9S

This entry gives film number 1594692 which when put it into the catalogue search on familysearch it covers the parishes of Castle-Frome, Clehonger & CLIFFORD
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bfilm_number%3A1594692

It is quite likely that the parish that the LDS have transcribed is the wrong one

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 18:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these two helpful replies. I think I have followed the advice re. batch numbers etc to find the original entry ( this is the first time I have done that so hope I did it correctly). Even though this shows Castle Frome I think there may be a error in Family Search transcription and that the hand written parish record I saw in the Hertfordshire record office (which shows Clifford)  is probably correct.
So good to have other peoples opinions and ideas - thank you