Author Topic: Harp without Widemarsh Gate Hereford  (Read 6940 times)

Offline herefordman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harp without Widemarsh Gate Hereford
« on: Thursday 24 October 13 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, Does anyone have any information for the Harp Widemarsh Gate Hereford 1775,
One of my ancestors said he was from there in 1775.
Any help please  ???

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Harp without Widemarsh Gate Hereford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 October 13 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi - there's quite a bit if you Google it - explanation of name & info that it was demolished in 1778.

Regards

Everlea.

Offline herefordman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 October 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi - there's quite a bit if you Google it - explanation of name & info that it was demolished in 1778.

Regards

Everlea.
Hi Everlea Sorry would it be possible to add the link I don`t seem to be getting anything.

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 October 13 20:36 BST (UK) »

Regards

Everlea.
Hi Everlea Sorry would it be possible to add the link I don`t seem to be getting anything.

Would you believe I can't find it now!!!!!!!

I've a feeling there was a ref to the National Archives & something about there being two lots of

cottages & one was called The Harp. Apologies for being so useless - perhaps someone cleverer

than me (that's most people, I hear you say) might have better luck.

Everlea.

Offline herefordman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 October 13 20:48 BST (UK) »

Regards

Everlea.
Don`t worry Everlea I`m not good either, Think it might have possibly been no 54 now and then changed to the herdsman but not too sure thanks anyway

Would you believe I can't find it now!!!!!!!

I've a feeling there was a ref to the National Archives & something about there being two lots of

cottages & one was called The Harp. Apologies for being so useless - perhaps someone cleverer

than me (that's most people, I hear you say) might have better luck.

Everlea.

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 October 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your patience - if I do find it again, I'll certainly let you know.

Everlea.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 October 13 23:05 BST (UK) »
the book  "Hereford through time" by Derek foxton has a photo of widemarsh st about 1966, which clearly shows the herdsman as being the old harp hotel then.

mike

Offline herefordman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 October 13 08:13 BST (UK) »
the book  "Hereford through time" by Derek foxton has a photo of widemarsh st about 1966, which clearly shows the herdsman as being the old harp hotel then.
thank you Mike

mike

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 October 13 09:54 BST (UK) »
Morning - I've found something!

I entered "Hereford" after name & more entries came up, mostly ref. to 19th c.

The National Archive one says "Four cottages & adj. cottage; Wellington Arms(Formerly The Harp &

The Voluteer) at Widemarsh Gate & adj the above: Five cottages built on a parcel of garden ground

on the north side of the city wall between the wall & town ditch."

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk>Search the archives>Access to archives

The other one about it being demolished is www.localhistories.org/hereford.html - but you should

be able to see that all the other mentions by just Googling "Harp without Widemarsh Gate

Hereford."

Hope this helps.

Everlea.