Author Topic: Esther Groom b c 1830 Tivetshall St Margaret  (Read 3413 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Esther Groom b c 1830 Tivetshall St Margaret
« on: Tuesday 07 January 14 14:17 GMT (UK) »
First of all could someone tell me the names of the adults in this household in the 1841 census. I think it is William and Susan Groom... if so this is their first child.

If they are the adults ( likely parents) then they immigrated to the USA and by 1850 they are on the USA census, but Esther Groom is not there, so what happened to her?
I have checked deaths and marriages and can't find her.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M792-WGN

Thanks
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Groom b c 1830 Tivetshall St Margaret
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Looks as if it has been transcribed as Green ( someone has corrected this to Groom) and it does look like Groom on the original.

HO107; Piece: 758; Book: 15  St Margaret Tivetshall
All born in county

William Green   33  Ag Lab
Susan Green   29
Esther Green   11
Eliza Green    6
Matilda Green   4
Gorge Green   3
Mary Green   1

(Not related to my Grooms who were from Suffolk.  ;D )

An online tree has Susan as Susan Arnold and William and her deaths in Wisconsin, United States. All the other children also went to the USA. They give Esther's death as after 1880, but dont give any sightings after 1841. I wonder if she married and that is why she didn't go?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Groom

William's parents were born in Thrandeston Suffolk ( Robert Groom and Elizabeth Barnard m 25 Feb 1794 Thrandeston...  the online trees have also got her name wrong but I have seen and got copies of the PRs) prior to that I can't be sure as the PRs are not so good but it looks like Trandeston was home for a few generations prior for both Grooms and Barnards but it is also a popular name in Suffolk
Robert died young and the whole family moved to Tivetshall St Margaret, Norfolk.
William Groom and Susan Coleman married in Tivetshall St Margaret, Norfolk 9 Nov 1831 they immigrated in 1847/8 to the USA but..
 I can't find Esther after the 1841 she certainly wasn't in the USA in 1850 census, their first George died in Tivetshall St Margaret, Norfolk 1835, no Eliza after the 1841 Matilda in died in USA  1892, George number 2 is in the 1850 USA census  no sign of Mary after 1841 Sarah, Elizabeth, Sophia all born aft 1841 all went to the USA plus two more born after in the USA. Susan died I know not when( but after 1850 as Enoch was born then)   in the USA and William married Elizabeth Salter who was producing children by 1852.

A younger brother of William's also went to the USA ( Enoch) and his young family, so I am trying to tie up branch lines as my directline ancestor ( elder brother of William /Enoch) remained in Norfolk
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

A bit of a long shot but have you been able to check this immigration record appearing on family search for a 12 year old Esther Groom arriving New York in 1842  aboard the St James - probably co-incidence but worth ruling out. It does say accompanied by GEO and on the next page he is shown accompanied by Esther he is aged 4

Shirl

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K84H-6N7
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirl100

Thank you for that I will do some more searching in the USA...... Bless! 12 years old and  being responsible for a 4 year old and going across the world.
As Esther is not with her family in 1850 ( George is) I just assumed she had died or maybe married in the UK which I couldn't find , so this opens the possibility of 'lets hope' a marriage for her.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I wonder why she was sent out so many years before the rest of the family if it is her, and the ages do fit don't they? Did the younger brother go out earlier, was she sent to them?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 20:52 GMT (UK) »
An online tree has this

Esther Groom
Birth ABT 1829 in England
Death ABT 1897 in Wisconsin, United States

They give her parents as William Groom and Susan Arnold and a marriage to Dennis Shiedy (1819 - 1880) They had 9 children.

Family search has this marriage:

Dennis Shudy
Spouse's Name:    Esther Groom
Grant County, Wisconsin
29 Dec 1849

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 21:00 GMT (UK) »
That tree has the birth of a child Elizabeth Groom 11 March 1844 in Wisconsin, so perhaps the family went out earlier than you thought?

Mind you, they also do have the birth of a Sarah Groom at sea 5 Aug 1842, but then have a baptism
12 Jun 1842 Tivetshall St Margaret, Norfolk,, England ie before she was born.  ;D ;D

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Esther/George Groom's Uncle Enoch( Groom) and Aunt Hannah(nee King) went out to the USA in 1838, so yes it is likely. I am sure with a large family ( even before they left the UK) it was expensive to all go at the same time.

It also looks like William went out around the same time as brother Enoch(according to Enoch's obituary) if that is true he returned to the UK before going back with his family ( I suspect the obituary is not true, certainly Enoch's birth date is wrong as they have it as born 1810 and he was born 4 years later ( as per baptism PR and all the census returns)

Sarah Groom was born 16 April and baptised 12 June 1842 Tivetshall St Margaret, Norfolk.

Elizabeth was born in Wi end of 1843 bap 1844. then two more children.

Thank you for all these other bits of info, it gives me names to look for and records to hopefully find

There are several US census also a very detailed obituary ( which is great but not primary) giving different dates of immigration