Author Topic: Hercules WRIGHT Chelsea Pensioner  (Read 4861 times)

Offline george165

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hercules WRIGHT Chelsea Pensioner
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 May 14 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish
           I haven't the marriage certificate of Hercules.  Do you have the names of the family of Charles Wright in the 1841 census?  It appears that they all were connected to the Army very early.  Hercules doesn't seem to be on any the 1841 census.   He was also known as Richard on one of his daughter's marriage.
Thanks
george165

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 May 14 15:19 BST (UK) »
1841 Census
Sandhurst, Berkshire
HO107/28/5/Sandhurst
Charles WRIGHT, 66, Army, born Foreign Parts
Harriet, 50, Not born in County
John, 31, , Independant, Not born in County
Amelia, 25, born Jersey
Ann, 23, born in County
Richard, 16, Army, born in County

I looked for Amelia as she was born Jersey and this may be them in 1851, ages a little out but but otherwise may be Harriet and Amelia form 1841 Census;

1851 Census Visiting William BROWN, age 70, born c 1781 Hackney, in St Pancras, Middlesex;
Harriot WRIGHT, 68, Visitor, Widow, Annuitant, born Watford, Hertfordshire
Emilia Wright, 32, Visitor, Unm, Annuitant, born Jersey, Channel Islands
Anne Wright, 21, Visitor, Unm, Gold and Deluxe ? Assistant, born Marlona, Buckinghamshire

If I was you I would get the M/C when you can to find more out about Robert Wright.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline george165

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 May 14 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish
            Thank you for all your work.  I have a Charles Mason Moncrieffe Wright died Nov 1851 at Wokingham.  Harriot was a widow in 1851 and I know that the census was early in the year so this may not be him.  He was Liet in the army but it is hard to find any information.  I am trying to knock out any one that may not be him.  The ages are all over the place in the 2 censuses.  The Charles above was in the army, my Robert was in the army and his son Hercules was also in the army this is why I thought he may be connected.
Thanks
george165

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 12:04 BST (UK) »
George

Can I make a small correction, Charles Mason Moncrieffe Wright was a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy. Passed for Lieut. Oct 1820, advanced to Captain Nov 1846. There is a career biography in O'Byrne, which is available on Ancestry.

Martin

Offline george165

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin
              Thanks for pointing that out to me.  I didn't look at the information too clearly.
Bye
George165

Offline JeanetteM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 August 15 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have jumped into the middle of this discussion using Google so I haven't read the whole thread.

My GG-Grandfather was William Charles Carter baptised in Binfield 8 July 1855. His parents were Charles Carter and Louisa Dowling. I know Louisa had one child before she married Charles and two who were born too long after Charles died to be his - Sarah and Esau George . I think Esau was possibly Hercules Wright's son.

Then she had at least 3 children with Hercules Wright.

She was in the Easthampstead Workhouse along with some of her children on the 1861 census. And her father-in-law William Carter born around 1781 in Binfield, died in the same workhouse in Sept 1861.

I did not know Enoch Carter came to Australia.

Jeanette

Hi trish
           Yes she did remarry Hercules.  According to Binfield's christening records there wasn't a Hannah.  Louisa had 2 children after Charles died.  They took the name Wright in a census. Louisa had 3 more children with Hercules.   The Enoch mentioned was my great grandfather who emigrated to Australia in 1874 and had the name Carter on his marriage certificate.  I have all the information I can get on Louisa which is why I am chasing Hercules.  He had 3 children with his 1st wife.  According to the marriages of the children of Louisa and Charles they took the name Carter.
Thanks
george165