Author Topic: Denny Picture (Bingo)Hall  (Read 37323 times)

Offline Anderson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Denny Picture (Bingo)Hall
« on: Monday 03 January 05 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information on the old Denny picture (bingo)hall. Story goes it was built by my g/grandfather David Anderson of Dryman (Denny area)
Anderson
Scotland - Stirlingshire area:
Anderson - Moffat - Comrie - Rankin - Reid - Sneddon-Snaddon

Scotland - Renfrewshire - Thorn - Johnstone:
Speirs - Watson - Fillans - Logie

England - Leeds - Yorkshire:
Oddy - Littlewood

England - Sudbury - Suffolk
Hempstead - French - Newell - Healey - Cole - Andrews

England - Staplehurst - Kent
Alchin - Waters

England - Birmingham
Bayley - Baker - Barford

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
Re: Denny Picture (Bingo)Hall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 January 05 23:56 GMT (UK) »
hi there, i have found a book which may be of some help. - i'm not sure how much help (if any) ::) - but here is the description anyway...

"Old Denny, Dunipace and Bonnybridge: Tony Martin (June 2000). Contains 56 pictures covering locations including Denny Cross and station, Stripeside, Dennyloanhead, Carrongrove paper mill, Herbertshire Castle and the canal bridge at Bonnybridge. The brickworks at Denny and the foundry at Bonnybridge are included too." (taken from www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk).

isbn 1840331178
Old Denny, Dunipace and Bonnybridge  by Tony Martin
published by Stenlake Publishing 12 June 2000.

might be worth looking at.
regards,
Lorna.

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 January 05 00:07 GMT (UK) »
one more thing...

i just found this:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinemas/scotland/denny.html

and wondered if it was a photograph of the picture house you are looking for info about. - it says below the older of the 2 photos that the original was opened in 1913 and demolished in 1960s.

regards,
Lorna.

Offline Anderson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 January 05 01:39 GMT (UK) »
hi Lorna
Thanks for you kind help. We live in Australia so finding that book may be a mission but will try.
The newer picture house wouldn't be it as David Anderson died 1924 but the older one may be it. Must be in a different place to each other due to the time of building and demolition.
I have just found David Anderson (my g/grandfather) obituary that I had stowed away.
It reads:
Falkirk Herald Saturday, 18 Oct. 1924 Pge 9 Col.1
The late David Anderson
The death took place somewhat suddenly on Tues.of Mr David Anderson, retired merchant, Glasgow Rd.Denny, at the age of 77 yrs. Deceased was in his eary days employed by Messrs. Edgar & Strang, merchants, Stirling St. and latterly started business for himself. Mr Anderson built the public hall, and for a time showed considerable versatility in business affairs. In his hall connection he came into constant touch with entertainment caterers of the old concert days, and he was held in high esteem amongst them. Mrs Anderson and a grown up family survive, and they have the sympathy of the public in their bereavement.

So Lorna I don't know if the picture theatre & the pudlic hall are the same building.
I had a look on the interenet to see if there was any history information on Edgar & Strange merchant's in Denny but with no success.
Thanks once again, hope you have a great year.
Anderson
Scotland - Stirlingshire area:
Anderson - Moffat - Comrie - Rankin - Reid - Sneddon-Snaddon

Scotland - Renfrewshire - Thorn - Johnstone:
Speirs - Watson - Fillans - Logie

England - Leeds - Yorkshire:
Oddy - Littlewood

England - Sudbury - Suffolk
Hempstead - French - Newell - Healey - Cole - Andrews

England - Staplehurst - Kent
Alchin - Waters

England - Birmingham
Bayley - Baker - Barford

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 January 05 11:16 GMT (UK) »
if it is of any interest, there is a statistical account of Denny drawn up in 1839 at:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/tom.paterson/places/sadenny.htm

i looked briefly at it but never saw the names you mention, but it was probably too early. - i saw one Anderson though: Edward Anderson, 23d September 1747 ; died April 1749 he was one of the ministers of the parish of Denny.

the page also has an old map of the parish of Denny.

and this (below) is a link to 1881 census for Denny.

http://www.tompaterson.ukfamily.com/census/Denny/Denny1881_sPage9.html

it is searchable by surname, then forename.

another thought would be to contact Falkirk Council Archives.

Contact Details
History Research Centre
Callendar House
Callendar Park
Falkirk
FK1 1YR
Scotland

Tel: 01324 503779
Fax: 01324 503711 
Email: callendar.house[at]falkirk.gov.uk  (Replace [at] with @)
Archivist : Ms Elspeth Reid
Access information
Open : Mon-Fri 10-12.30, 1.30-5

some of the records they hold......

Denny and Dunipace Agricultural Association (1)
Denny, Stirlingshire
Denny and Dunipace and District Canine Club (1)
Denny, Stirlingshire
Denny and Dunipace Burgh (2)
Denny, Stirlingshire
Denny and Leslie Park Curling Club (1)
Denny, Stirlingshire
Denny Curling Club (1)
Denny, Stirlingshire
Denny Parochial Board/ Parish Council (1)
Denny, Stirlingshire
Denny People's Club (1)
Denny, Stirlingshire

i hope this is of some help to you.

regards, Lorna.

Offline Nigel_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 15:00 GMT (UK) »
I checked the link in a previous post
http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinemas/scotland/denny.html
The colour picture is The Cinema Deluxe. It is located about 100 metres south of Denny Cross. Denny Parish Church stands at Denny Cross and can be seen at the right of the photo.
Denny sits on the Stirling to Glasgow Road -- north of the cross is Stirling Street -- south of the cross is Glasgow Road.
I consulted my father -- he was born around 1925.
On the site now occupied by the Cinema Deluxe, There used to be a Town Hall. My father refers to it as Town Hall rather than Public Hall. This was used for various entertainment acts and probably had a flat floor (unlike cinemas) . Underneath the Town Hall were stables.
Around 1936, the Town Hall was burned to the ground. The deluxe cinema was then built on the site.
It must have been around 1970 when the cinema closed and reopened as a Bingo Hall.  It was still standing the last time I passed (about a year ago)
The Black and white photo is of an old cinema in Stirling Street -- about 250 metres north of Denny Cross. I can't remember the name of it though "The Picture House" is probably correct -- we just called it "The Flee Pit". It was operational in the early 1960's but is now demolished. All the shops on the west side of Stirling Street were demolished in a major revamp about the mid 1960's -- it may have been around then that The Picture House was demolished -- not certain exactly when.
To the right of the Picture house you can just make out a small structure -- this was a small wooden weatherboard building (about the size of a garage) and was a shop owned by a huge lady who had to sit down most of the time -- she used a long stick with a grab that reached almost all the shelves.
About 70 metres to the right (east) of the Picture House is the local Catholic Church (the Chapel) and it is still operational.
Behind the Picture House used to be the local football pitch for Dunipace Juniors -- this is now a housing estate.
Drymen is just east of Loch Lomond and about 25 miles (as the crow flys) from Denny -- given the roads and transport of the time, that's a fair distance.
Callendar House in Falkirk is about 6 miles from Denny. This used to be a large wealthy family estate but is now run by the council as a tourist attraction. The library there is of special interest. As local people die, they often donate photos and information to the library -- the material is always increasing and is possibly now one of the best sources for local historic information.
Email: callendar.house@falkirk.gov.uk
David Anderson is probably buried at Denny Cemetery -- about a mile outside Denny on the Denny to Falkirk Road -- operated by Falkirk District Council. This Cemetery has no new plots. Over the last ten or twenty years, new plots have  been created at the nearby new cemetery, "Hills of Dunipace". So there are effectively two cemeteries for Denny and Dunipace.
My father does not recall any "Edgar & Strang, merchants, Stirling St" -- must have been before his time.
I hope I did not bore you.

Offline Nigel_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 15:14 GMT (UK) »
This link might be useful to You
http://www.falkirkmuseums.demon.co.uk/museums/call-ho.htm
The staff at the library are pretty helpful -- i did some research there -- I have never contacted them by email though -- I lived next door to it at the time.
If they had  a photo of the Town Hall, they could probably send you a copy by email.
Good hunting.

Offline Nigel_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I was going to send you a photo of Denny Cross in the early 1900's
But I could not find a way to do it.
I just became a member today.
I was gonna make a Roots Website but they want a lotta personal information.

Offline Nigel_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I followed the link by Mclellan and found this almost perfect match

http://www.tompaterson.ukfamily.com/census/Denny/Denny1881Page40.html

David Anderson is the correct age and running a business in Stirling Street.
Stirling Street is where the shops were/are  -- Glasgow Road was pretty much residential.
He is shown as Born in Denny though -- not Drymen (could be an error)
Looks like his wife died at or just after childbirth -- he was a widower with an 11 month old child.