Author Topic: FORREST surname in Scotland  (Read 16417 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: FORREST surname in Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 May 13 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've not intentionally rejected any requests.
Please try again, or if you PM me with your full email address, I'll sort it out.
Dave

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Skye_

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 May 13 06:11 BST (UK) »
I have tried 3 times with the same result.  I have been to your website in the past with no problem, but it has been quite a long time.  In order to send a PM, the rules say i have to post a minimum of 3 times.  I just joined the forum today in order to get in touch with you regarding the request denial.  So, looks like I'll have to post here at last one more time . . .  sorry to annoy! 

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 May 13 08:31 BST (UK) »
Very strange.  I can't think of any reason your request would be rejected. 
If a request comes through from you I'll accept it.
Or, if you can get me your email address, I'll add you.

Dave
-------------------

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 May 13 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Skye

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

One more post and then you can send Dave your email via the personal message service. To do that, just click on the small note/letter button on his username on the l/h side and it will take you straight through.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skye_

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 May 13 18:03 BST (UK) »
I tried again today - still no luck.  This is my 3rd post, so perhaps i can now send you a PM. 

thanks.

Offline Skye_

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 May 13 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I am searching for the parents and ancestors of my great great grandmother, Ellen Forrest (b. Feb 1834 in Scotland, d. after 1907 in U.S.).  I have precious little information on Ellen or her family, other than what I have gathered from the U.S. censuses, as follows:

The U.S. Federal Census for 1900, Erie County, Wales Township, (Ellen Stillman), shows that Ellen  came to the U.S. in 1840.
(https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1TH266-11094-151251-86?cc=1325221&wc=MMPJ-3R8:1187708350)

I do not know from what port she disembarked, but suspect she may have come into the port at Philadelphia, PA.  Since she was a six-year old child upon arrival, I would assume she came with her parents, but have not found her on any ship lists.

About 1856 Ellen married William J. Haslett (or Hazlett).  The 1880 U.S. Census shows Ellen Hazlett is widowed and, along with daughter, Anna, lives with her brother, William H. Forrest (b. 1832 in Scotland, d. after 1892), a druggist, in Sheldon, Wyoming Co., NY. 

As per a Dec. 3, 1881 letter of her son in law, Jasper D. Wooster, Ellen and daughter Anna were then living in the Philadelphia, PA area, where Anna and Jasper were married in October 1882.

By 1900 Ellen was back in Erie County, NY, had married 2nd, Robyns Stillman but was once again widowed and living in the household of Jasper Wooster (name is misspelled as Worster)

I have a photo of William Forrest (and possibly a photo of Ellen, although it is not positively identified), and postcards addressed to Ellen Stillman.  I also have photos of Kate (or Kathryn) Forrest.  Although I know Kate is closely related, I cannot determine whether she is a sister or a cousin because the U.S. censuses show both William and Ellen born in Scotland, while Kate says she was born in Ireland.  Kate married Jacob Vanaman and lived in Philadelphia.  Jacob was killed in American Civil War.  Living with Kate in 1880 is her niece, Jenny Forrest (I have photos of Jenny too, but do not know who her parents are; she was born in PA in 1859).

I also have letters and postcards written to my grandmother from "Aunt Mary Forrest" (b. in Ireland in 1848), widow of James Forrest (b. Ireland in 1830) and two of her sons, Lester and Edwin, of San Francisco, California.  I am guessing that this James Forrest is most likely a brother of Ellen and William H. and/or Kate. 

I hope I haven't thoroughly confused you with all this and perhaps it isn't enough to go on but it's all I have.  I read in one of your posts that records in Scotland prior to 1855 are virtually non existent and since my Forrests came over in 1840, attempts to find the names of William H. and Ellen together in Scotland have been futile. 

I'm not very optimistic about finding the parents of Ellen and William but thought I would throw everything out there that I know in hopes that something would pop up.  Is there any way to determine which clan my Scottish ancestors were associated with? 

Thank you for all your help.

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 May 13 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave

Here is a family of Forrests for you.

Regards
Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 May 13 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these.
Both messages bookmarked so I can look at them in more detail when I have time.,,,,I'm still playing catch-up with emails I've had about various Forrest families.

Dave
-------------------

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 May 13 21:32 BST (UK) »
The 1860 U.S. Census gives Ireland as the birthplace of both William & Ellen Haslett. They are in Catasauqua, Lehigh, Pennsylvania with 2 daughters (both born Penna.).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!