Author Topic: help finding baptism and parents of robert harper 1818-48  (Read 2207 times)

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
help finding baptism and parents of robert harper 1818-48
« on: Friday 12 September 14 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there everyone ive been stuck for 4 years now trying to find when and where my third great grandfather Robert Harper was born and who his parents where.
He married my third great gran sarah wilkes 3rd july 1838 at tipton he is illigimate by the looks of it as no father on marriage cert, witnesses William and Hannah Horton may be clues too.

He had his first child Thomas 20 January 1839 baptised at darlaston abode butcroft, next was my great great grandmother mary ann born 19 oct 1840 Walsall street darlaston.

1841 census he is aged 30 NOT born in county a coal miner at butcrost wednesbury

He baptised around 3 remaining children in 1846 at Christ church wednesbury

Sadly he was blown up in heath colliery west Bromwich on 9 feb 1848 aged 30, his wife remarried in 1852, so sadly I don't know his birth place as he didn't survive to the 1851 census, please someone try and help me I would be so pleased

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help finding baptism and parents of robert harper 1818-48
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 September 14 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing I did think that one too but sadly that one died aged 9 months, I did come across a Robert harper baptised in netherseal Leicestershire on 9 march 1818 to a Thomas harper and Catherine, I know he didn't state father in his marriage cert but Im not sure, He had a daughter called Selina harper born 1844  and this one in netherseal has a sister called selina baptised 1 November 1825 in ashby de la zouch? I cannot see the Thomas and Catherine harper from netherseal/ashby de la zouch in 1841 census so presume they died before that, there is also a George harper to same family baptised 22 june 1823 ashby zouch and theres a George harper living in 1841 census as a lodger so it seems aged 17 not born in county in darlaston where my Robert harper lived at some point.
Does this all fit together? ive struggled so much with this family
thanks again

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 September 14 20:23 BST (UK) »
Oh bugger......I didn't follow it through.I saw he was illegitimate and went in head first..

I see where you're going with the Leicestershire one and it's pretty plausible.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Ive just found another clue, my Robert harper married at tipton church to sarah wilkes 3rd july 1838, sarah wilkes was illigimate daughter born 1820 to Hannah to married joseph Chilton in dec 1820.

The clue is a marriage of a james harper at the same church in tipton same year date 15 October 1838 widower father Thomas harper a miner, to sarah jones widow  father Benjamin Dudley, witnesses HANNAH AND JOSEPH CHILTON who are my Robert harpers wife sarahs parents, there must be some link there?

found them on 1851 census james born bilston 1793 coal miner (same as my Robert who was born 1818) he has step children surname jones living with him all in bilston, could Thomas harper the father of Robert and james be the same one, Thomas the father of Robert born near ashby de la zouch who married in 1813 to Catherine gilbert be married previously and living in bilston/darlaston area before remarrying and moving ? could james harper born bilston 1793 be Roberts half brother? any ideas?