Author Topic: Looking for Mary PENPRASE or PINPRAZE in Camborne  (Read 10595 times)

Offline G_B_W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Mary PENPRASE or PINPRAZE in Camborne
« on: Tuesday 12 August 14 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have been searching for information about my Great Grandparents Thomas Williams and Mary Penprase who lived in Camborne. I have their physical death certificates. Mary died 11 May 1936 in the Women's Hospital in Redruth. Her address was 10 Centenary Row West Camborne. This is the same address listed on the 1911 Census where she is listed as a widow living with 7 children, one of whom, George, is my grandfather. Thomas Williams died 12 Dec 1898 at 182 Centenary Row. My grandfather's birth certificate lists Mary Williams as formerly, Penprase. The 1911 census lists her birthplace as Taunton Somerset. I found a Mary A. Pinpraze in the 1881 census, age 17, born in Taunton Somerset, listed as a Tailoress. The 1911 census shows 2 of Mary's daughters working as a dressmaker and tailor. Mary A. Pinpraze lived at 4 Tolcarne St. I see from the map of Camborne that Centenary Row and Tolcarne St are very close to each other. Could Mary A. Pinpraze be the same person as my Great grandmother Mary Williams? Is there any way to find out?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Mary PENPRASE or PINPRAZE in Camborne
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Do you have a copy of your grandparents marriage certificate which will show her fathers name and occupation
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat G_B_W.  :)

A few things come to mind:

You obviously have realised that you will probably need to be flexible with the surname and take variations in spelling into account.

Have you looked for births for Mary Pinprazes in the right area around 1861? This might help in working out how many of that name were born in the area.

Do you have Mary Pinpraze in the 1871 census? She may be with parents. Is she with parents in the 1881 census aged 17?

Have you looked for a marriage for Thomas Williams and Mary Penprase? The certificate should give her father's name and occupation so you will be able to cross check to find the right family in 1871 and also the correct birth (if there are more than one).

Added: I see Carole is thinking along the same lines ... 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 00:34 BST (UK) »
Here is the marriage on freebmd

Marriages March qtr 1885       
Mary Penpraze     Redruth    5c   335    
Thomas Williams        
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 00:38 BST (UK) »
I'm sure this is her birth reg

Mary Ann Panphrase December qtr 1864  Taunton Volume 5c Page   426

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 00:42 BST (UK) »
Good find Carole. I was getting frustrated with no results for the birth. Trying lots of different variations there don't seem to be any/many other Marys with a similar surname born in the right timeframe. So quite likely that GBW's assumption that Mary Pinphraze is his ggrandmother.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for Mary in 1871? I'm not getting any results ....  :-\

Offline G_B_W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 00:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for such quick replies. I do not have a copy of Thomas and Mary's marriage certificate. The 1881 Census Shows Mary Pinpraze, age 17, living with William Pinpraze, wife and family. Thomas was a tin miner (below ground) as his wife's death certificate indicates. Thank you for the lead on the marriage.
Mary Ann Panphrase? Wow, that is interesting! Is it possible to see those records on line?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 00:51 BST (UK) »
Nothing is coming up on the 1871 but if you use a wildcard search on the marriages as follows:
p*np**

It comes up wih many variations - here's a few

Penpeaze,  Penphase, Penprage,   Penpraise

I would strongly advise you buy a copy of her birth cert to get her parentage and mothers maiden name