Author Topic: Llewellyn James Jones (born 1845/1856 in Newport, Mon, died in Pontypridd 1913)  (Read 9051 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llewellyn James Jones (born 1845/1856 in Newport, Mon, died in Pontypridd 1913)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mabel, fascinating articles and could be more by the sound of things. Will create a time line and see if I can locate him in the censuses (or the possible marriage to Mary).

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llewellyn James Jones (born 1845/1856 in Newport, Mon, died in Pontypridd 1913)
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 February 14 06:38 GMT (UK) »
I found this marriage earlier with four possible people - two couples.  As Charles Smith married Harriet Langden I would assume James married Mary Vaughan

Marriage March Qtr 1872 Newport M.  Vol 11a Page 225
James Llewellyn Jones
Mary Vaughan
Charles Smith
Harriet Langden

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 February 14 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I found this marriage earlier with four possible people - two couples.  As Charles Smith married Harriet Langden I would assume James married Mary Vaughan

Marriage March Qtr 1872 Newport M.  Vol 11a Page 225
James Llewellyn Jones
Mary Vaughan
Charles Smith
Harriet Langden

Thanks Kay, that looks promising.

I meant to look for the marriage last night but got carried away reading the newspaper articles!

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 February 14 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Apart from the articles Mabel found, I've found a few others too, and it sounds as though there may well have been plenty more ....

Nothing yet to prove he's the Llewellyn James Jones I'm looking for as the guy in the papers is consistently called James Llewellyn Jones, plus a possible birth and marriage as JLJ, though the later articles refer to him as a painter from Newport, same as the 1901 and 1911 censuses. Both names (James / Llewellyn) appear to be used all the time, and Llewellyn is always spelt the same. Age is about right too.   

In the articles I've found - covering 20 years (1870-1890) - he was charged with:
obtaining by false pretences or unlawfully obtaining (1) a piccolo (2) 12 books of gold leaf and half an ounce of gold bronze (3) a book, value 10s (4) gas fittings and (5) a horse and trap.

At various times he claimed to be a teacher of music, a theological tutor, a detective, and a private investigator. He was at one time acting as agent and canvasser for the Liberal candidate in a borough election. He was fined several times and spent time in prison (9 months with hard labour for the gold theft).   

If it's the same man, he tried to commit suicide at least 3 times in the early days (hanging from a lamp-post and cutting his throat with a pen-knife on two occasions), and was possibly the victim of an assault by his wife. He also was fined for being disorderly and assaulting another man.

I've not yet found a Mary Jones death (there's a surprise!) nor his 2nd marriage to Mary Ann(e) Leigh so maybe he changed his name around to Llewellyn James Jones when he met Mary Ann(e).

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 February 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I didn't see any newspaper articles about him post his living with Mary Ann and I wondered if his name change reflected him turning over a new leaf and new role as a family man???

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 February 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I didn't see any newspaper articles about him post his living with Mary Ann and I wondered if his name change reflected him turning over a new leaf and new role as a family man???

I'd been wondering about that too - Mary Ann had 6 surviving children under 14 when her first husband died in 1891 - though we only have records of his son's baptism, the censuses and as a witness to his step-daughter's marriage in 1903 to go on.

Apart from the possible 1871 census you found, I've not found JLJ in 1861, 1881 or 1891 yet. Still looking. Doesn't look like he's the James Jones with Eliza in 1881 in Lancashire - though rather strange to have the same basic name, age and place of birth  :-\       

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 February 14 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I think  James Llewellyn Jones could be in 1861may be living in Newport with his family -  RG9 Piece: 4018 Folio: 16 Page: 26 .   Between 1871 and meeting Mary Ann he seems been in trouble on a numerous occasions and could even have given a false name at the time of the census.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 February 14 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I think  James Llewellyn Jones could be in 1861may be living in Newport with his family -  RG9 Piece: 4018 Folio: 16 Page: 26 .   Between 1871 and meeting Mary Ann he seems been in trouble on a numerous occasions and could even have given a false name at the time of the census.

Will look at that now, thanks Kay. Love the idea that he may have given a false name, as Mary Ann and her first husband (Walter Robert Leigh) were recorded as Packman in the 1881 and 1891 censuses (doubt we'll ever know why), though they registered all but one birth and all the baptisms as Leigh. Several other topics on Walter and family on here (army, Brecon and Kent).

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 February 14 22:14 GMT (UK) »
That 1861 looks great thanks Kay, one of the newspaper articles mentions Hill Street.