Author Topic: Owen Evans Police Constable - Anglesey  (Read 3682 times)

Offline gwyneth70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owen Evans Police Constable - Anglesey
« on: Monday 07 July 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
I have found my great great grandfather Owen Evans who was a village policeman in Anglesey. His last post was in Llanerchymedd which I found on the 1881 census . I would love to know more about him. From census records I  have found he started as a railway policeman in Holyhead. His wife was Phoebe but I have found that following her death he remarried and retired to Holyhead. Is there anyone out there who may have this man in their family tree?

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Evans Police Constable
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwyneth70
I don't know about your gggf, but can I suggest you click on report to Moderator and ask for this to be transferred to the Wales board?

Might get the right people looking at it then. Also might ask them to adjust your heading to include Anglesey in it?

Good luck!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Evans Police Constable - Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 July 14 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwyneth,

I have looked on the Ancestry site and there is a tree with the family on. Not a lot about Owen I'm afraid, but quite a lot about his daughter Hannah and her family.
If you are interested let me know and I will send you the details.

Ellen

Offline gwyneth70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 July 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellenmai.
Thanks for contacting me. I have Hannah on my tree with her marriage and two children, but would really like to see more about her family.  :)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 July 14 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwyneth,

As I am taking this information off a tree in Ancestry I would check it first before believing it to be fact.

Hannah was born in 1867 Holyhead and died 1892 Holyhead, age 25 years.
She married 18/7/1888 at St Cybi Church, Holyhead to John Humphries he was born 1854 Holyhead.
Their children were Robert John born 17/4/1889 Holyhead, Phoebe Ann born 16 /11/1891 Llanynghenedl, Anglesey & Evan William born 6/12/1892 Holyhead.

Robert Humphries marries again after Hannah's death to Jane Owen 15/9/1895 Holyhead Register Office and they had four children in 1895/96/97/99 (Do you want their names?)
On the 1901 Census Hannah & John's three children are living in Llanynghenedl Workhouse.
Evan William Humphries marries 30/4/1920 at Caergeiliog Chapel, Anglesey to Mary Catherine Jones born 1896 Caergeiliog.

Kind Regards,
Ellen

Offline gwyneth70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 July 14 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Ellenmai. My Great Grandmother was Hannah's sister but I have never heard of any of the Anglesey branch of the family. Such a shame for children to be in the workhouse. I will have to do some more digging now to find out why  the ended up there. I will leave the name of the other children for now as I am building my direct family tree first.
Kind regards
Gwyneth.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 July 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwyneth,

Your very welcome to any help I can give. It is very sad the three children were put in the workhouse, but with their father marrying again and then having four more children in quick succession I don't suppose there was enough room. There is some very good information on the Anglesey workhouse in the Archive in Llangefni and there is a register for admissions/discharges from 1870 to 1931. I'm sure you will be able to find something about them. With Hannah's death and Evan William's birth being in the same month perhaps she died in childbirth or soon after.
I forgot to put the details for Hannah's sisters so here they are, Margaret Ann Evans born 1862 Llangefni & Elizabeth Elin Evans born 1858 Holyhead.

Good Luck with finding them,

Kind Regards,

Ellen

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 July 14 20:14 BST (UK) »
I have found some records related to your family which I hope will help you with your research:-

Deaths
Phoebe Evans, 65, at Queen St. Holyhead on 22 Mar, 1895, wife of policeman Owen Evans. Informant J. Williams, Queen St. Holyhead.
Owen Evans, 73, at Llanbadrig on 22 Jul, 1922, police officer (retired). Informant W.T. Roberts, nephew of Village Hall, Cemaes, Llanbadrig. (It seems Owen's age has been mis-transcribed, 93 is probably the correct age).
Grace Evans, 88, at Llanbadrig on 20 Jul, 1932, widow of police constable Owen Evans. Informant L. Jones, Ty Gela, Tregele, Llanfechell.

Marriages
Owen Evans, 27, labourer of Black Bridge, Holyhead son of Evan Evans, joiner. Phebe Jones, 27, of Holyhead daughter of William Jones, labourer. On 29 Dec, 1856 at St Cybi's Church Holyhead.
Owen Evans, 66, widower, police officer (retired) of 10 Queen St Holyhead, son of Evan Evans, joiner. Grace Hughes, 47, of 10 Queen St Holyhead daughter of Hugh Hughes, labourer. On 29 Oct 1895 at Armenia Chapel, Well St., Holyhead (both fathers deceased).

Births
Elizabeth Evans, father Owen, mother Phebe Jones on 8 Oct 1857, Holyhead.
Margaret Ann Evans, father Owen, mother Phebe Jones on 27 Oct 1861, Llangefni.
Evan William Evans, father Owen, mother Phoebe Jones on 29 Jan 1872, Llanidan.
Hannah Evans, father Owen, mother Phoebe Jones on 1 Oct 1866, Holyhead.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk