Author Topic: Macdonald's of Halkirk.  (Read 7137 times)

Offline Jane Hollenbeck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Macdonald's of Halkirk.
« on: Sunday 30 August 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Part of my family tree traces a line of George Macdonalds in Halkirk for several generations.
I would welcome ANY input or help tracing this to living relatives, and family trees etc.

1799 Halkirk. George Macdonald married Helen Sinclair
Children:all born Halkirk 1800 Christian,1803 George,1806 William,1809 Isobel,1810 John,1815 Barbara.
Son George married Williamina Macleod in 1843.
They farmed at Burn of Halkirk,next to brother William, then later at Harpsdale.
George died in 1880 at Harpsdale.
In 1891, their son George Macdonald was still farming in Harpsdale and taking care of his mother Williamina.
Soon after he moved to Bardemerkie, Halkirk, still farming and shows a wife Christina with children George and James.
He died in 1942, still married to Christina Waters/Taylor, and lived at Church Street, Halkirk.
Another son, Donald Mcleod Macdonald witness at his death, and living at Braal Terrace, Halkirk. Donald married Margaret Mary McMenemy. They had children; George Macleod Macdonald 1927, James McMenemy Macdonad 1928, Lilian Macleod Macdonald 1934, Raymond Macdonald 1937, all born in Halkirk.

Does anyone know of these families or places, and potential living relatives, please ?

Jane.
Sinclair,Tait,Macdonald, Sutherland

Offline Ottawa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Macdonald's of Halkirk.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 March 12 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Jane

Came across your post.  I can add that my GG Grandfather John Sutherland married an Anne Macdonald.  They farmed in Harpsdale for many years at least from 1840 to 1880.  Unfortunately, do not have further information on her or him, except their children.

Offline margomackay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 22:33 GMT (UK) »
hi i know this family  if your still looking

Offline scottgm

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 July 22 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I beieve Donald Mcleod Macdonald is my great-grandfather based on information that i've received from my own father. Donald is the father of my grandfather George M MacDonald (1937-2008) from Halkirk.