Author Topic: William Gillespie b. 1750/1752  (Read 6208 times)

Offline jgilles

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Gillespie b. 1750/1752
« on: Monday 16 July 12 23:29 BST (UK) »
Have you come across a William Gillespie, born 27-May-1750 OR 17-May-1752 around Alloa, Falkirk, or Stirling?

I found his trail once he emigrated to America around 1774, but his years in Scotland are a mystery to me. Some of his children's more unique names are Walter, Menzes, Alma, Jabez, and John Magowan.

His parents are believed to be William Gillespie and Janet MacGowan of Kincardine parish, but evidence is circumstantial:

1) A family letter states that he came from Stirling.
2) Janet McGowan's father was Walter MCGOWAN of Solsgirth. William named his third son Walter, and his fifth son bore the name John Magowan Gillespie.
3) DNA results link William to three other GILLESPIE families, all around the same central region: Tillicoultry, Larbert, and Kirkcaldy. Which supports (inasmuch as it doesn't disprove) a Stirling/Kincardine origin.
4) William recorded his birthdate in a family Bible as May 17, 1752, which is very close proximity to the birth/baptism date of May 27, 1750 in the OPR.

I've searched OPR records available at ScotlandsPeople. Scotland census records begin at 1841. Has anyone else come across information about this William Gillespie? Or do you have any ideas for verifying that this OPR record is a match for my William Gillespie?

Thank you,
Jim Gillespie

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Gillespie b. 1750/1752
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 08:17 BST (UK) »
I am related to a William Gillespie 1829 born in Denny. He had a brother called Robert. His wife was Elizabeth Patterson and it is said her Mother was a Macgowan. Also an Elizabeth.
Is this any Help.?

T.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The only birth I can see on IGI is this one https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VQ7B-FN5

Right period, but a different county, see www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/sct_cmap.html

The official pay to view site, which includes images from the Old Parish Registers, is www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Can't see the 1752 birth for your William, only the 1750 one https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VQ71-HNL It may be though that first William died and next born son was named also William (common practice if it was an important family first name).

Can't see much more that the that entry for a William and then Helen for births.

Monica

Added: Sorry, for sure you already have this info http://genforum.genealogy.com/mcgowan/messages/1264.html

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
My McGowan was mother of Elizabeth Gillespie (Nee Paterson) born in Strathblane in 1826/8.Also she was called Elizabeth. Elizabeth Gillespie(Nee Paterson) died in Row Dunipace in about 1874 from memory.

T.