Author Topic: Error with Canada, British Army Reg. Rolls? (1835)  (Read 6370 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Error with Canada, British Army Reg. Rolls? (1835)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Findmypast have deserter records online covering the date he completion date. But he is not listed. He is actually in the 8th Foot and I have a few musters from the time he served. I will see if I have the one for 1835.

Ken

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken:

I was trying to find the regiment ("48th Foot, 17th Foot 1st Battn") in Canada during 1835 and was not able to find it.  It's interesting that he was actually in the 8th Foot.  I will research that after work today.  Thank you for finding that information and for your time.  It is very much appreciated.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 December 14 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Sorry, my muster ends 31st March 1835.

I think "7 - 9" means 7th to 9th Foot.

Ken

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 December 14 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Story of my life.   ::)  I have an ancestor who died in Ontario, Canada one year before death registrations were required; I would love to know why she died at a somewhat young age.  Now John Ovens continues to remain elusive.  I do appreciate the time and trouble to which you have gone.   :)

John Ovens "died" on 26 October 1835; his record is on page 19.  I looked through pages 1-19, trying to find others who died in late October 1835, thinking there may have been several who were killed around the same time and I believe I only found one other death that was in late October 1835.  Coincidentally, near the top of page 20 is someone who has an attestation date 4 months after Mr. Ovens' date, this man was the same age as Mr. Ovens, and he deserted 25 October 1835.  Could they have deserted together, or was it just coincidence.  Several men did died in June and July 1835; perhaps there was an illness, or disturbance.  I will continue to look through the images to see if there are any other clues.

Thank you again for your time and trouble.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 June 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
Findmypast have deserter records online covering the date he completion date. But he is not listed. He is actually in the 8th Foot...
Ken

I know nothing about military records or names, unfortunately.  Would the "8th Foot" (from the Canada, British Army Reg Rolls) also be known as "The Eighth or The King's Regiment of Foot?"

From a book found on the internet about the King's Regiment of Foot, in 1835, "The four depot companies embarked for Ireland in the summer of 1835, and landed at Cork on the 30th of June."  In 1838, they "were removed from Ireland to the island of Guernsey".

The John Ovens mentioned in this thread died on 26 October 1835.  If the above was for his company/regiment, perhaps he died (or, if someone made a mistake with quote marks on the regiment rolls, deserted - not died) in Ireland?  [I realize it isn't likely that someone made a mistake, but I'm not yet ready to admit defeat with this quest.]   :'(

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.   :)

Note:  I started another thread, inquiring about ordering military records:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=722684.0

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 08:02 BST (UK) »
https://billiongraves.com/grave/John-Ovens/2677180 Cochrane Cemetery West Grey Ontario
John Ovens
Died: 26 May 1898
Description
John was 22 years old

You need to sign up to read the headstone.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 13:58 BST (UK) »
shume, thank you very much for finding the information.  While there is at least one other Ovens family from Co. Fermanagh that settled in Ontario, Canada (we were never able to find a link between our ancestors), I don’t believe this John Ovens belonged to that family. I’ve started to look into his family to see if they also were from Co. Fermanagh.

Thank you for your help.  Lisa