Author Topic: Military Uniform  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Military Uniform
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Could it be local militia????
regards
Westmorland

I did wonder that and looked up Lincolnshire Militia early on. I didn't come up with anything. For the time being I think regular Army is the most likely.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Definitely a regular, he is in the 1854 pattern uniform. Originally double breasted, changed to single breasted in 1856. The slash cuff was abolished in 1868 and replaced by the pointed cuff with white trim.

This shows the colour but the facings (collar and cuffs) would have been a different colour according to regt. Ignore the collar badges, they are his rank badges.

John915

PS There should be nine buttons
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 November 14 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for your input. John not so sure about the 1854 scenario, my Aunt is pretty adamant its her Grandfather and he was only born in 1846
Cheers
Penny

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 November 14 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Have emailed the IWM and Royal Lincolnshire Regiment and Lincolnshire Yeomanry Collections Museum

Penny

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 November 14 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for your input. John not so sure about the 1854 scenario, my Aunt is pretty adamant its her Grandfather and he was only born in 1846
Cheers
Penny

You're right Penny. The uniform was changed from the old cutaway tailed coat in 1856 to the double breasted skirted jacket. That one lasted for one year only and was replaced by the single breasted version in 1857. At first it was broad skirted and mirrored the French and Prussian jackets that had been in use since the 1840's. The uniform changes were strongly influenced by the French in the Crimea including the French style shako or kepi.

Your man is from about 1860 or after, as he is shown with the shortened and narrowed skirt of the jacket. The same change was happening with the Prussian jacket at the same time.

As has been pointed out this jacket design lasted until 1868. Born 1846, even if 22 in 1868, don't know whether he looks that young.

All these dates are as per regs. but regiments overseas might have been wearing previous patterns for 2 or 3 years. 

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 November 14 14:46 GMT (UK) »
If I look at the photo and imagine him without the whiskers I think he could be early 20s.
I've attached a photo of my Grandad, Thomas'  son, which was taken in 1918 when he was  30 and I don't think he looks anywhere near as old as 30. Young looks must be in the genes . lol
Penny

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 November 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Cheers
Penny

The uniform in the photo is definitely the one I posted a picture of, albeit an officer. From 1868 this was the uniform, below. This does show though that uniforms were used after the change over. It shows the wide chevron on the cuff but this was changed to narrow braid with a trefoil in 1871. However collar badges didn't come in until 1874.

I would suggest posting this on the photographic recognition board as well for a date as he is standing in front of a neck brace, used to keep him still while the photo was taken.

I would say, given date of birth as well as uniform dates, that it is between 1864 and 1870.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 November 14 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

Incidentally, the 1854/1868 uniform, with 1 or 2 minor alterations, is still worn by the Guards today.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 November 14 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've had this response from the Lincs Family History Society  "He is not wearing a hat and the photo, of course is not in colour but  from the belt and the sleeves it could be that he was in the Lincoln Militia circa 1874.
I have a photo of a group at the Barracks with a similar uniform (Lincs Life Museum building).  There were many regiments using similar uniforms at this time but if he had a local connection he may be one of ours."

Penny