Author Topic: Marriage Look up Request  (Read 1501 times)

Offline foliot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Look up Request
« on: Friday 11 April 14 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I am very confused.  I have Henry Newton marrying on 4th March 1816 in New Windsor.  His bride was Sarah Hoare.  He was in the Royal Horse Guards.  I then have his son, another Henry, baptised in 1819, born at Clewer.  His mother was 'Hannah'.  Is there another marriage for him between 1816 and 1819?  Most of the family have him married to a Hannah Higg, but I can find no record of this!  Can anybody help?

:o

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Look up Request
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
Where did your information and that of the others come from?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline foliot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 14 17:03 BST (UK) »
Initially Windsor parish register transcribed by findmypast for the Sarah Hoare marriage in March 1816.  Then by 1819 he appeared to be married to Hannah who was mother of Henry born 1819 Clewer (familysearch).  But in 1823 he was married to Hannah as they baptised a son in Kensington (parish reg St Mary Abbot, Kensington) - I know it is the same Henry because he was in the Royal Horese Guards, which is mentioned as occupation in all entries!

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 April 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
I've looked at the Clewer parish records (Berks FHS CD) and Henry and Hannah Newton were witnesses to a marriage (William Billings to Charlotte Bennett) which took place there June 21 1816 - so only 3 months after the Henry Newton/Sarah marriage in Windsor.  I suppose its not impossible Sarah could have died and he remarried to Hannah within 3 months, but perhaps not very likely?  :-\

I can't see a burial for a Sarah Newton in that short time on the Berkshire Burial CD (Berks FHS again).

According to the 1819 baptism for Henry junior, his father was a servant at the horse barracks. Henry & Hannah had a daughter Hannah baptised in Clewer in 1824 when Henry is described as living at Clewer Green, pvte Royal Rgt Blues.

Just to make life more interesting (!) there is also a burial in Clewer for a Sarah Newton on 7 April 1809 - the entry says she was 31 years old and 'found murdered at home'.

Too early to be Henry's first wife but perhaps a relative of Henry's? I would think it would have been mentioned in the newspapers of the time.

Of course, Henry may have had no prior attachment to the area and, with him being a soldier, he may have been stationed elsewhere when he married Hannah. Do they appear on any later censuses which would give a clue to Hannah's birthplace?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline foliot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 14 19:03 BST (UK) »
That's great!  Thank you.  Henry 's wife is on the 1851 census in Leicester and states born East Tisted in Hampshire!  He was from Leicester and joined up in Queniborough, going back home when he was discharged.  He died in 1850.  I know he baptised Henry jr and a daughter, Hannah in Clewer and he also seems to have had a daughter called Emma, who states born in Windsor, so somehow he married Hannah!

This has been very helpful and much appreciated!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 April 14 19:42 BST (UK) »
Just to make life more interesting (!) there is also a burial in Clewer for a Sarah Newton on 7 April 1809 - the entry says she was 31 years old and 'found murdered at home'.

Too early to be Henry's first wife but perhaps a relative of Henry's? I would think it would have been mentioned in the newspapers of the time.

It is in the papers - she was found beaten in bed. The man with whom she was cohabiting was accused of the murder and sent to Reading jail. He was a trooper in "The Horseguards Blue" - so they were obviously connected with the town.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline foliot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 April 14 20:19 BST (UK) »
Yes - beaten to a pulp by all accounts!!!  Poor woman.  Henry joined the Blues in 1806 aged 16 and Will Billings was also from Leicester - Desford.  What a tangle!