Author Topic: Avonbridge/Stein  (Read 28746 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Avonbridge/Stein
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 October 10 17:53 BST (UK) »
Mosstrooper,how can I ever thank you enough.What a fantastically kind thing to do.I have a lump in my throat just looking at these.Thank you so much for taking the time to go and do this.I have someone else who has offered to finf if my Aunt Grace,Jimmy's daughter is buried at Denny.I have to say I have been overwhelmed by the help and kindness shown by those on this site.Bless you all.

ps.Mosstrooper,do you think these old folks you met will make it through the winter so I can perhaps meet them in Spring lol.I would love to meet and talk to anyone that knew my grandparents.

Seoras.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 October 10 18:07 BST (UK) »
Seoras,
             I will take you to their door, they were very friendly and helpful, they mentioned Grace and I think Margaret
Jimmy, The old Lady has a Village photo collection which she said she had just got back after lending it out to a man.
I was born just outside the village at Crossroads, a mile up the Slamannan road and they know all my family too.

The door of Lin Mill Cottage
And The Linn Mill itself.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 October 10 18:28 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks again Mossman,I have these saved now.I don't remember Margaret but feel sure they must have had more children as they married in 1917 and Grace and my mother didn't come along till much later in the 1930's.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 October 10 18:58 BST (UK) »
Mossman,I have just been to Avonbridge on Google Earth.Is that patch of wasteground where Taylor's Buildings stood by the river and across the road from the pub?

Seoras.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 October 10 19:31 BST (UK) »
That is it exactly as shown to me today.

James.

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 October 10 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

My father in law has just informed me that there was a Willie Stein who lived in Gateside Cottage at Standburn, not sure if this is any relation to you?

Strange thing is now that the house was converted into a two storey building and is owned by my older cousin.

If it is a connection I will try and get before and after pictures for you.

Gillian

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 October 10 21:49 BST (UK) »
Here is a photo of Crossroads dated 1928 with my Granda Paddy Reynolds and Granny Agnes. Aunt Rose in the doorway, notice the fresh water system on the right of the picture  (Barrel under the ronepipe)

James.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 October 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
Not sure Gillian.My great great grandmother was a Stein but seems to be a woman of mystery.I know she died at 2 Linmill Road,Avonbridge in 1944.And I am sure my grandfather must have had siblings and more children than the two I know.Looking back the four generations I have got so far we do seem to be a somewhat fertile family.I am going to have to get the heaps of scribbling out and have a look because I know Standburn is mentioned somewhere.I feel like Sherlock Holmes at the moment ha ha.Trying to piece all the bits together and it definately isn't elementary.

Seoras.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 October 10 22:13 BST (UK) »
James,brilliant,I know now exactly where it is.And you my new found friend should get some of your fantastic music on CD.

George