Author Topic: James CANNELL Rushen  (Read 11275 times)

Offline susu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James CANNELL Rushen
« on: Thursday 21 March 13 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to trace a JAMES CANNELL who would have been born around 1800. My great great great grandfather is John Cannell, who was the illegitimate son of James Cannell and Margaret Christian. James and Margaret never married, and John was privately baptised on 28/08/1825, at Kirk Rushen, isle of Man, then accepted into the congregation on 6th November 1825.
As James and Margaret never married, I am wondering if James died, which maybe why John was then accepted by the church. This is just a theory, as I can't seem to find out which James Cannell is involved.
 Margaret Christian(who I think was the daughter of Peter Christian and Margt Mylrea)  lived with her son and his family, until she died in 1870.
Any help in tracing James Cannell would be appreciated...

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James CANNELL Rushen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:55 GMT (UK) »
iMuseum (From Manx National Heritage) implies that James and Margaret were married?

Baptism 28th August 1825
Parish of Rushen
John Cannell
Parents: James Cannell & Margt Cannell (nee Christian)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline susu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 13 10:26 GMT (UK) »
James Cannell and Margaret Christian definitely didn't marry. She is shown as bringing up her son alone in the census records...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 March 13 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Is she listed as Christian or Cannell is census records with her son?

... John was privately baptised on 28/08/1825, at Kirk Rushen, isle of Man, then accepted into the congregation on 6th November 1825.
As James and Margaret never married, I am wondering if James died, which maybe why John was then accepted by the church. This is just a theory, as I can't seem to find out which James Cannell is involved...
Sounds as though the baptism took place privately (not in church). This is for Church of Ireland- scroll down to THE MINISTRATION OF PRIVATE BAPTISM OF CHILDREN IN HOUSES.
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/Ireland/Ireland_Baptism.htm

Being received into church after private baptism-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=635404.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline susu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 March 13 11:08 GMT (UK) »
She is listed as Christian and her son as Cannell..

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 March 13 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Ideally we need to check on "Presentments for Fornication" but I don't think those documents are online?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lynne99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 November 13 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Thought I could help, but no luck :( ::)
There are presentments for fornication on the Isle of man note book, but there is a gap from 1820 to 1830.  Will keep my eyes open
Lynne
Fletcher, Scotland pre 1850s Liverpool post 1850s
Manchester, Bickerstaffe and later Liverpool
Mitchell, Liverpool
Harrison and Howard all in  Liverpool, Gascoyne St area

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 November 13 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Rushen presentments 1825 bk 2 - Margt Christian for fornication - a child born - in pencil fathered on James Cannell - no further info in book tho presumption is that James Cannell is of same parish as  out of parish males usually noted.

Re bapt + reception - absolutely standard for a private baptism (tho this usually noted as such in the register) - the child when fit to travel (and this could be several months later) would be noted as 'received into the congregation'  - in some parishes the reception was the key item and the date of the private baptism noted as a comment (the IGI was not consistent with dates in these cases tho the the later Manx Museum reading do seem to note both) - this reception has nothing to do with father dead or otherwise.

I have added a few more years to the CD Rom under presentments - I now have photos of most years until 1850 but tedious slog as the loose papers are mostly lists of defuncts
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline susu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 13:46 GMT (UK) »
thankyou for following this up for me. I have digged a little deeper and found a James (Waterson)Cannell born in Rushen, on 26/01/1806, son of William Cannell and Catherine Waterson. A lot of the information on their families seems to tie in with surnames from my family. Would this be a possibility? I cannot be sure what happenend to this James Cannell...regards, sue