Author Topic: Gender Check  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Gender Check
« on: Thursday 11 September 14 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, Familysearch lists the following as a DAUGHTER of Thomas Clifton and Frances Butcher.
Frances       b. 09 June 1801       Chr. 09 Aug 1801 West Malling, Kent 

Other than the IGI (familysearch) is there any way of checking whether the above could be a son FRANCIS?   That guy has been eluding me for two decades, and as the baptism year is about right, I felt it worthwhile to ask if Rootschatters knew of any other record that might say this was a male baptism?
Thanks Roy G

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gender Check
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

If no-one pitches up here who has access to the actual parish registers, you could try requesting a photocopy from FamilySearch via this

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Photoduplication_Services

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 14 11:52 BST (UK) »
Transcriptions of the parish registers for St Marys West Malling are available free on a google doc here (on the St Mary's website):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An5L7tDXoRDddGJPanpzVGJEM19XQ2NBVWdxWklpMVE#gid=0

However, the 1801 Clifton baptism is still transcribed as Frances, (and no baptisms for Butcher in that time period) so I guess that doesn't help you much.  :(

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking. 
I have already come to terms with the idea that the parish records (as written) were properly transcribed, and was wondering if Frances/Francis Clifton ever appeared on one of those early Napoleonic censuses, was apprenticed or accused of some legal infringement. 

All I have been able to do so far is search for a copy of this other Frances' marriage or death (to verify her existence as a female in tandem with my male) which has revealed nothing, but I have to admit, it's easy to miss things. Ironically, just finding Frances Clifton as a woman in any historical document would be helpful, for it would prove to me that I was following a false trail.

The only records that I have of him are his marriage to Lucy Curd (Card) of Buxted in Brighton (1827 with unrelated witnesses), the baptisms of their children in Brighton, and his death in Brighton in 1838.  (So there is no census info giving a birthplace).   

Regards Roy G

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't place too much credence on the familysearch transcription being correct.

In the end I had to travel from the South Coast up to Sheffield to look at the original archive as the birth of Zephania Fisher was transcribed as daughter and it just didn't make sense when following on in other records - its not as if I could have several Zephania's to choose from!

Actual record quite clearly stated 'son of' which demolished one of my brickwalls instantly.

I think there is no substitute for looking at the original register.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 September 14 14:52 BST (UK) »
You've convinced me.  I've contacted familysearch for a copy. 
What is interesting on that is that the reference headings they use on the request forms, hardly match the references on the IGI and you have to use a lot of intuitive guesswork.  I would have thought a simple copy and paste would have done the trick.  Roy G