Author Topic: Hannah Long  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Long
« on: Friday 19 September 14 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hello all, would like help in finding the parents of Hannah Long ??? on previous attempts I have found that she married a Thomas Simmonds on the 15/4/1823 at Maidstone, another query was suggested of a John Long and Mary Woodger marriage on the 9/2/1709 which is too early to be her parents, could be grandparents of Hannah. My grandmother was a Ruby Phillis Wigley, and her mother was a Phillis Lydia Hodge, and then before her was Phillis Lydia Woodger Simmonds so Phillis appears to be continued all the way through the generations. I found a Hannah Long baptism on the IGI for 2/9/1800 parents Robert and Martha Long, but I am not sure about this :-\ I am searching through CD's also trying to complete the puzzle. :-[ any ideas is always appreciated.

Janet ;)

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Long
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 14 14:26 BST (UK) »
If I start at the marriage that you mention, the witnesses were, Robert Long and Ag Simmons.  That is according to a transcription that I have.

There is a non-conformist record of a birth of Hannah Long on 2 September 1800 at Maidstone, daughter of Robert and Martha; this from Family Search.

Preceding that there is a marriage held at All Saints, Maidstone on 8 October 1785 between Robert Long and Martha Brightwell.  For information the witnesses were Edwd Ralph and John File.  This again is all in accordance with the same transcription.

Hope this helps.  ???

Tony  :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 14 17:25 BST (UK) »
I loved that Hannahs Sibling was a Liberty Long.

He married Elizabeth Ann LEADER, 10 Dec 1832, All Saints, Maidstone
Source FreeREG
F/S incorrectly has him as female, but he is on the 1841/1851/1861/1871 Census.

Mary 1788 possibly married John BALLARD, 05 June 1809
Source FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 September 14 19:47 BST (UK) »
This is coming out of left field.  ::)

You have Phillis Lydia Woodger Simmonds born to Thomas and Hannah, my assumption based on All Saints, Maidstone transcription.  I have not been able to find a birth/baptism record for Thomas around 1800.  ???

However, there is a marriage at Addington 22/3 August 1790 (Family Search) between Thomas Simmons and Lyddy Woodger!  :)

After that there is a baptism of Jeremiah, dated 25 Dec 1803 at Farningham (again FS) to Thomas and Lydia Simmons.  Then a bit of gloss, Jeremiah (and wife Susannah) had a daughter Phillis baptised at Maidstone in 1828, when Jeremiah’s occupation was Gun Flint Maker.  You may already know this but, when Thomas and Hannah’s children were baptised he was noted as a Gun Flint Maker.  :-\

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 September 14 23:41 BST (UK) »
Good Morning all, thanks for your help I wonder if Thomas Simmonds was married twice I have his record of marriage in 1823 to Hannah Long which was on the web, which seems a early date to Phillis Lydia Woodger baptism on the 12/7/1835 Maidstone. I also searched for Thomas's baptism which was on the Web entered by a Simmonds ancestor and the actual day and month are not mentioned only the year. :'( :-[.

Janet :(

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
I could understand your concern in modern times however, Thomas and Hannah had at least nine (possibly ten) children between 1825 and 1840.  They were all baptised at All Saints, with father Thomas described as a Gun Flint Maker.  The possible tenth is one baptised to Thomas and Ann but, again he is a Gun Flint Maker.

They were as follows

1824 Apr 9 Thomas William S of Thomas & Hannah SIMMONS Maidstone, Gun Flint Maker
1825 Oct 2 Agnes D of Thomas & Hannah SIMMONDS Maidstone, Gun Flint Maker
1826 Aug 23 John George S of Thomas & Hannah SIMMONDS Maidstone (Flint Maker)
1828 May 30 James Benjamin S of Thomas & Hannah SIMMONDS Maidstone (Gunmaker)
1830 May 5 Agnes Amelia D of Thomas & Hannah SIMMONS Maidstone (Gun Flint Maker)
1835 Jul 12 Phyllis Lydia Woodger D of Thomas & Hannah SIMMONDS Maidstone, Gun Flint Maker
1836 Apr 10 Agnes Sophia D of Thomas & Hannah SIMMONDS Maidstone, Gunflint Maker
1838 Mar 25 Sophia Selina D/o Thomas & Hannah SIMMONDS GunFlint maker, otp
1840 May 27 William Henry S/o Thomas & Hannah SIMMONS Gunflint maker,otp

Possible tenth

1835 Mar 15 Sophia D of Thomas & Ann SIMMONDS Maidstone, Gun Flint maker

All from a Transcription.

If you are still concerned about Hannah's maiden name, I can only suggest, you purchase the Birth Certificate of one of the last two children say Sophia Selina Maidstone District March 1838 Vol 5 Page 294.

I do hope this enables you to move forward, or should I say backwards.  ???

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 September 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon redtonyt, thanks for your help I am still searching on the CD for the marriage of Thomas & Lydia Woodger in Allington on the 23/8/1790 with no luck the entry is not entered ??? I have just finished searching on the Maidstone CD and all the entries are listed ;D thanks again for your advice in purchasing the Birth certificate on Sophie Selina or ever Phillis Lydia if possible ???

Janet :)

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 September 14 09:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry a B.C. for Phillis Lydia Woodger Simmonds will not exist.  Birth Certificates only became available after Civil Registration.  The Date of such was from September 1837.  The only records, for Births Deaths and Marriages before then are entries found in Parish Registers.

Addington is a Parish to the north west of Maidstone.  I don't know of any CDs or online records from that Parish other than Family Search.  The link to the marriage on FS

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/QJDK-1SC3

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 September 14 09:42 BST (UK) »
A bit more grist to the mill.  :)

The Family on the 1841 Census HO107, Piece490, Book8.

Thos Simmonds  41 M Fossilist
Hannah Simmonds  40  F
Thos Simmonds  17  M
James Simmonds  13  M
Phillis Simmonds  8  F
Agnes Simmonds  5  F
Sophia Simmonds 5  F
Wm Simmonds  1  M

Hannah (a Dealer in Fossils) is still alive for the 1851 Census, with the two youngest children as above but there is now an Alfred born c 1843!  ???