Author Topic: Charles Bishop - Elimination  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Charles Bishop - Elimination
« on: Thursday 09 October 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
Please see previous post on this topic:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=510845.msg3670843#msg3670843

In summary I have a Charles Bishop marrying Eliza Hornsbury/Hollingsbury in Brighton in 1836 but I have no idea where he came from apart from each census confirming birth in Kent but variously Widley/Pudsey/Audley/Tudeley the first 3 of which don't seem to exist in Kent and the latter not containing an appropriate Charles Bishop baptism circa 1811.

Still facing my brickwall I've decided to approach from another direction and see if I can find and subsequently eliminate any Charles Bishop born in Kent between 1806-1816 to see whom, if anyone, that leaves who could be my Charles Bishop appearing in Brighton.

Trawling the websites I can actually only find 2 Charles Bishop's born Kent in this timeframe.
1.  Charles Bishop bp. 9/10/1808 Newenden, Kent to Edward & Dinah Bishop
     There is also another baptism to these two of a son Edward in Newenden on 17/11/1809 when  Edward & Dinah are described as 'of Northiam'.
I think this might be Edward Bishop & Dinah Iggulsden.  An A***y tree has the death of this Charles in 1810 but no source citation.

2.  Charles Bishop bp. 1/12/1813 All Saints, Maidstone, Kent to William & Charlotte Bishop.  There is an added note against this baptism that William is a serjeant major in the 25th Dragoons.
I believe that William & Charlotte also baptised Charlotte Margaret on 2/2/1816, Mary Ann on 7/5/1819 & William on 17/10/1821.

Is anybody able to follow either/both of these Charles Bishops through into later life to see if they continue to exist outside of Brighton beyond 1841 in which case I can eliminate them as mine.

Can anybody find any other Charles Bishop's baptised in Kent 1806-1816?

The only other factor I can throw into the mix is that there is a Widley in Hampshire.  In 1871 my Charles Bishop and wife Eliza are recorded as being resident at 48 Little Southsea Street, Portsea, Hants which is within 10 miles of Widley, Hants - even then though his place of birth is still given as Widley, Kent!  They are resident in Brighton in 1841, 1851,1861 & 1881 until Charles dies in 1887 and Eliza remains in Brighton until her death in 1902.  I can't see any reason for them to be in Portsea in 1871 unless there is a connection to nearby Widley.

For info Charles and wife Eliza, do have amongst their 8 children a son William and a daughter Margaret.

Any help, info, suggestions appreciated - thanks in advance.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Bishop - Elimination
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 October 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
Looking at the original census records (NOT the transcriptions!):
1881 could be Tudley or Sudley
1871 says Widley
1861 says Sudley

IMHO Tudeley could be the answer?

The page on North West Kent FHS says:
Note: records for Tudeley are much intermixed with Capel.

Ages on each census suggest a birth year 1809-1811?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 October 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi K Garrad, yes I agree and I have searched through the microfilm of the original Tudeley cum Capel registers at Maidstone but no Bishop baptisms!

Sudley is another place that doesn't seem to exist.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline bkr188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 05:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Pheno,
If you look on the website www.home-computer.co.uk which is the site of "Descendants of Giles Bishop" you will find several Charles Bishop mentioned.  There is one fitting near your dates Charles 1802-1867, born in Milton and died in Bridge, son of Edward and Charlotte.  Your Edward and Dianna married 14-1-1806 in Rolvenden which is close to both Newenden and Northiam.  Hope this might help.
Kent: Plane/Playne/Plain, Brakefield, Oliver, Wells, Mainwaring/Manwaring, Martin, Bishop, Mills, Richardson, Wenman, Holdstock
Bethnall Green: Oliver
London:  Smith,  Nickolay, Blackmore.
Canada: Terry
Switzerland: Kneuss, Bergernat
Goudhurst: Martin
Tipperary Ireland: Woods, Fisher,
County Clare Ireland: Maloney, Whalan, Kilmartin

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 06:21 BST (UK) »
For anyone else who is confused by that website (like I was!) the full URL is:
http://www.home-computer.co.uk/genealogy.htm
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Bishop - A DNA result
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 May 19 14:07 BST (UK) »
Just thought that I would let you know that I have partially resolved this my biggest brickwall through the use of DNA.  This is on my husband's side of the tree and both he and one of my daughters had their dna tested some time ago and this week Ancestry Thrulines offered a potential 3rd great grandmother for my husband - somebody whom I had never heard of before - Martha Gouillick.

On checking where this person came from several trees had been used by Ancestry to make a connection but there, at the foot of the list was a DNA match to both my husband and my daughter.  I would never have spotted this randomly in the list of shared matches as there was no common ancestor as Martha was not in my husband's tree.

Having confirmed all the other tree research for myself this elusive Charles Bishop apparently had 3 siblings from one of whom the dna match descended and they had far more info on their branch of the family than I had been able to gain from mine.

I still have not been able to find my Charles' elusive baptism (perhaps he was missed) but the other siblings born both before and after him were baptised in Sussex, rather than the Kent info that Charles had provided on every census in which he appeared so maybe that is not correct but what he thought.

So now my Charles has at least a parent - one of either James Bishop or Martha Gouillick and hopefully both.  However trying to find a family of 'Gouillick's' in Sussex is proving very difficult and it looks like an obvious mistranscription to me - but of what.

Anyway, I posted this to simply say - don't give up on brickwalls and do use DNA!

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire