Author Topic: Conlons, Berrys, Spollens, Cartys from Glasson Westmeath  (Read 31603 times)

Offline Ed H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Conlons, Berrys, Spollens, Cartys from Glasson Westmeath
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 16:11 BST (UK) »
Bob,

If I am correct, you and I are related through your Berry connection to the Spollen's. Laurence Spollen b. 1833 married Bridget Berry b. 1844 and had 10 children.

Jim's gr- grandfather ( John ), Laurence, and my gr-grandfather ( William ) were brothers.

Offline Jim Mckillop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 July 08 19:08 BST (UK) »
hello all,
    I see Ed has answered a lot of questions and linked us together. I have tried to respond to Ed on his personal message regarding spollens of Tubberclare but I cant seem to figure out how to send back a personal message.
   Anyway, Ed I am familiar with Johns book on spollens. I also have been at the cottage a few times

My family is listed under Margaret Spollen. Since your message I have gone back and reread the book and see you are in the introduction and at the time he put the book together it mentions that you were establishing the connection between John Spollen and William Spollen. In the book it lists Baptismal records for 8 of the 21 children of John Spollen and Jane Dunigan:

Elizabeth 5/27/1830
Laurence 8/13,1833
Mary 3/27/1835
Patrick 1/16/1837
Catherine 4/12/1838
John 9/25/1845
Ann 5/8/1847
John 4/25/1849

The last John is my greatgrandfather. The first John probably died as an infant
so the name was used again.
I was wondering Ed if you have found the records for your relative William who I believe would be one of the 21? or if you have found any others.

By the way if anyone wants to contact me directly
My E-Mail is
Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use secure massage system to share email addresses and other personal details. Thank You.
 and I live on Long Island in NY

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 July 08 07:57 BST (UK) »
I have tried to respond to Ed on his personal message regarding spollens of Tubberclare but I cant seem to figure out how to send back a personal message.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but at the moment you don't have enough posts to be able to access the PM system.  We had to put in a "minimum number of posts" to stop spammers from misusing the site.

Just keep posting and you'll soon be able to send PMs.  :)

regards,
Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 July 08 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim.Like Berlin Bob said get posting & you will soon be able to access the PM system which can be very handy ,I ve got Spollens in the the family but their not so far related to the Spollens of Tubberclare,they come from the Ballycumber area.But I'm lucky that I'm able to visit Ireland quite often so if you ever need any headstone/ graveyards checking out in Westmeath I'd be only to happy to try & check them  for you.Regards Nipy

Offline Ed H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,  I sent you a private message with some information. Hope to be able to talk soon.  Ed

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks ,on the trail of Spollens,maybe of some interest to some of you I notice there is a school teacher Bgt Spollen at Ballinacargy Co Westmeath (not to far from Tang etc)I found it on a very interesting post by Eadaoin on Irish Resources,posted today under Irish National teachers-1873-1874,sorry Folks I've not learned how to do a link -Good luck Nipy

Offline Bobby Conlon

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 October 08 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Ed and Jim, I am interested in the Spollens as you know. I have finally learned my Berry connection to the Conlons. My gg grandfather Thomas Conlon married an Anne Berry in 1847 in Tubberclaire. My Great grandfather was a Micael born in 1850. His sponsors were a Patrick Dunne and a Catherine Berry.

I spoke with my father and he mentioned in knew the Frank Spollen who owned the store across the street from the church. He also asked if either of you were related to a Joe or Bartle Spollen who lived in US for awhile that owned a sand pit and made cement?

he also told me about an "Old" Paddy Spolen born about 1880 that lived in the gate house of Bunown? he had a son named Larry the Topper Spollen and a son nick named the Nucker. They were very good horsemen! The Topper moved to America.

Where do you two live? Do you have anyone in Tubberclaire Parish that has internet that could visit the church for info? Thanks Bob

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 October 08 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guy's as you may already know Bunown is in the parish of Glasson/Glassan,also I see Peter & John Spollen listed in Griffiths Valuation under Bunown.What look ups are you interested in at the church in Tubberclaire?Regards Nipy

Offline Bobby Conlon

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 October 08 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Nipy, Thanks for your help. My Conlons are from Bunown in 1850 time frame in Lissahillen or Lissakillen. There are other conlon families in the area that I have not connected to yet except through marriage. Thomas and Anne Berry marry in Tubberclaire on Oct 24 1847. My great grandfather Michael is born in May 1850. Other siblings could be Catherine, William, Mary, Patrick and possibly more. My g grandfather marries an Elizabeth Carty on Sept 17,1879. They have an Anne, Joseph, Patrick, Thomas, William, Michael, Margaret, and at least two more daughters. One becomes a nun and one marries a Tracey. Anne Marries a Ganley. Anything that can be added like birth dates, deaths or marriages for the children and their sponsors would be of great help. I owe you one. I can't wait for your reply. Take care, Bob