Author Topic: D'Arcys of Hyde Park Kinnegad Westmeath  (Read 6605 times)

Offline Darcyand

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
D'Arcys of Hyde Park Kinnegad Westmeath
« on: Friday 16 December 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for a Francis D'Arcy (born between 1725 and 1738) who was a "soldier of fortune" died in the American War and fathered Robert D'Arcy Maj Gen (1750s -1827) and Constantine D'Arcy Lt. (1759 -1778 died serving under General De Lancey in America).
the only information I have is that his son Robert when asked where he was from responded in a letter saying :
"I fear the best information I can give you respecting my family will appear very unsatisfactory. I am from Ireland as was my father, who I lost when very young, he being a Soldier of Fortune had nothing to leave me; and the friends I have found in the world not being of his name has made me less solicitous about the family of the D'Arcys than perhaps I ought. That we are from the County of Westmeath and of the House of Plallin (sic) I have heard, and are nearly connected with the D'Arcys of Donmore (?)."
Any help much appreciated.

Offline Darcyand

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: D'Arcys of Hyde Park Kinnegad Westmeath
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the response - sadly I think I have exhauted the references that you forwarded. If Francis and his son Robert are geniunley from this lot we think that it may be an offshoot from one of the sons that has not been recorded in the early 1700s as all investigations through those listed here come to a dead end!

Offline annandalyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: D'Arcys of Hyde Park Kinnegad Westmeath
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 February 13 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I have heard of D,arcys of Hyde Park but not your story. George D,arcy was the last (I think) of the name to live in Hyde Park.My mother always said she was related to D,arcys. She was born in Raharney Westmeath and her grandmother was Anne D,arcy. Annes father and grandfather were both Matthew D,arcy. The story was one married a Catholic named Anne Daly and was disinherited from family. I have never been able to verify this story.Hope this may be of some interest toyou.