Author Topic: Edward McKernan, Aughnakelly, Swanlinbar  (Read 5097 times)

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward McKernan, Aughnakelly, Swanlinbar
« on: Wednesday 20 October 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
I have found a reference relating to John McKernan of Dublin, son of Edward McKernan of Aughnakelly, Swanlinbar and would be most grateful if anyone could provide information about either of them, particularly Edward, as my paternal great grandfather, James McKernan, was born in Swanlinbar.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

craggagh.

Offline bellajune20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edward McKernan, Aughnakelly, Swanlinbar
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 January 14 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  My grandmother was the daughter of Edward McKernan of aughnakelly swanlinbar co cavan . Edward was married to Mary McEntaggart/McTaggart from Enniskillen Co Fermanagh. He had two brothers Robert and John.
He had two sons - John and Robert. there is, however, a James in the family - his grandson so may have been a cousin of john and Robert named James. Have more info on this family if you wish to contact me. 

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 January 14 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello -

Anything you can tell me about James McKernan would be most welcome. I know that he was born in Swanlinbar around 1840 and that he married my great grandmother, Maria Dowling, in 1875. His first wife, Sarah Daly, had died a couple of years before. Other than the fact that he was born in Swanlinbar, which I found out from St Patrick's House, Dublin, where he died in 1911, I have not been able to discover anything about his Cavan origins, so I really appreciate you replying to this post.

craggagh.

Offline bellajune20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 January 14 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I have checked all the records I have for the McKernan family but unfortunately, your James doesn't seem to fit in with any of the records. Edward and his brothers were born in the late 1820s and early thirties. It is believed that they were originally from Leitrim and Longford. In 1901 (Census) three brothers - John (68), Edward (68 also) and Robert (74) lived in Auhnakelly Swanlinbar. Your James would have been 41 at the time so would not necessarily have still been living in Aughnakelly at the time.  Sorry I can't be of any more help to you. By the way, if you are consulting the 1901/1911 census - the spelling is -'Aghnucally Tiercahoin,Cavan'. - the complications of the Irish language!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 January 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »
It seems to be Aughnacally on the census form but the online site has mistranscribed the townland name- unfortunately no place to correct places in the form for reporting errors.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 January 14 22:32 GMT (UK) »
It was a 'Copy of confirmation of arms to John McKernan of Dublin, son of Edward McKernan of Aughnakelly, Swanlinbar, Co Cavan, October 28, 1925' - in the NLI, Dublin - that made me think that there could be some connection.

I should perhaps add that James's father was Frank McKernan and his mother Catherine, maiden name unknown.

craggagh.

Offline LiamK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 February 16 21:01 GMT (UK) »
There were 2 distinct McKiernan families in Aughnakelly - one as referenced by Bellajune20 and 3 brothers Robert Edward and John originating most likely from the L Rynne estate of Lord Leitrim and arriving in Cavan after the Great Famine. The 2nd family known as the Ruck McKiernans were in Aughnakelly for several generations before the arrival of the other family. The Ruck McKiernans include a John McK married to Ann 'Nanny' Gilbride who had baptisms of at least three children recorded in the Kinawley parish records - Edward (1843), James (1845) and Honor (1850). James married twice  first w Mary Molanophy and later with Mary Maguire and his children were in the 1901 census in Aughnakelly and he was in the adjacent townland with his 2nd wife and mother-in-law. Hope this helps. Liam