Author Topic: OWEN MCGUIGAN.MACGUIGAN BORN 1829/30  (Read 4285 times)

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
OWEN MCGUIGAN.MACGUIGAN BORN 1829/30
« on: Monday 25 August 14 09:12 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace records for Owen McGuigan married to Mary McLinden in Inverness 1861 where he lived the remainder of his life. Through Griffiths Valuations I may have located his father Thomas Mcguigan Farmer (deceased by 1861) and mother Bridgette (Helen) Mcguigan nee Rice. Are there any on line RC church records for this county to try to locate Owen's birth to confirm he originated from this area and trace any other family members. I can confirm a witness John Rice on the marriage certificate and assume this was a relative of his mother or maybe his cousin. Thank you for any advice

Griffiths Valuation Record Information
Tenant
Family Name 1   MCGUIGAN
Forename 1   THOMAS
Landlord
Family Name 2   ANGLESEY
Forename 2   MARQUIS OF
Barony   DUNDALK, LOWER
Union   DUNDALK
Parish   CARLINGFORD
Townland   BAVAN
Place Name   BAVAN
Place Type   TOWNLAND
Publication Details
Position on Page   2
Printing Date   1854
Act   15&16
Sheet Number   4,5
Map Reference   3
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: OWEN MCGUIGAN.MACGUIGAN BORN 1829/30
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 14 11:44 BST (UK) »
The information from Griffiths Valuation is for Co. Louth not Cavan . If you are sure Owen's family lived in Louth there are records for Carlingford Civil parish in Carlingford R.C. parish online.This seems to be divided into 2 parishes Carlingford North and South. The  records that are online at www.rootsireland.ie (pay site) start in 1835. there are earlier records for the South parish available on microfilm in the National Library Dublin (free access) but for personal researchers.

annclare

Just did a quick search of the rootsireland indexes - no records showing for children of Thomas McGuigan with mother's surname Rice either in Cavan or Louth.
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 14 11:55 BST (UK) »
Lots of good information here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/019mk/

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 August 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comments annclare, unfortunately I do not know what part of Ireland he originates from as all of the Scottish census records indicate Ireland and not a district. The Thomas McGuigan I found was the only McGuigan I could locate married to a Bridget Rice, it may well therefore be the incorrect record and can't find any other clue to narrow the search down. I have a similar problem with his wife, Mary McAlinden who was also Irish, her parents are named as Bernard McAlinden and Anne Trainer, I found the odd Bernard McAlinden but an awful lot of Ann Trainer's. If I had the district in Ireland I think I could narrow it down a little. Owen and Mary may have met in Inverness or could have known each other before making the journey over to Scotland and be from the same area.
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 August 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you glens man, I will try the link.

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 August 15 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi I posted some time ago but had little information about the place of birth for my great grandfather Owen McGuigan however since posting I have managed to locate information from burial records in Scotland which indicate he was born in Forkhill, County Armagh and was Roman Catholic. I have tried searching on line records but cannot locate anything for his birth, I have tried different spellings of the surname but without any luck, are there any specific records for Forkhill? his father was Thomas MacGuigan and mother Helen or Bridgette Rice or Price.

Many thanks for any suggestions

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 15 08:27 BST (UK) »
If the family were Catholic then you could try searching Parish Registers now online (if you haven't done so already)-
http://registers.nli.ie/#home_map
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 August 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much I will try that

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 August 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The following may be of interest. A remnant of the 1821 census shows a Mcguigan family in the townland of Tiffcrum, Forkhill.
James age 32
mary age 28
Daniel age 63
Catherine age 6
Michael age 3
OWEN age 1

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim