Author Topic: Re: 1851 and 1861 Census Lookup  (Read 7171 times)

Offline dawn-in-nz

• RootsChat Member
  • Cheers....Dawn ©¿©¬
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 and 1861 Census Lookup
« on: Saturday 28 May 05 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm interested in the LINKLATERs of Shetland. Could you lookup the following for me in 1851 and 1861 please? All surnames are Linklater.

James born 1799 in Weisdale, son of Andrew. He married twice to an Elizabeth and Mary but I think they both died before 1841 - this is what I found in the 1841 census:-

Saby, Shetland
Linklatter, Andrew 80 yes
                 James 45 yes
                 Isabella 45 yes
                 Betty 5 yes
                 James 2 yes

Isabella is Andrew's daughter I think and not James' wife. Andrew may have died before the 1851 census. Betty & James are James' children, he had another son Andrew born 1818 in Weisdale, he wasn't at home in 1841.

Andrew had another son Magnus born 1798 who had moved to Leith in Edinburgh by 1841 but I'd appreciate a lookup for him too just in case he was home on a visit with one of his relatives.

Andrew's daughter, Elizabeth born 1801 in Weisdale married James GARRIOCK or GARROCK and was living at 4 Hamirigarth, Weisdale in 1851, would they still be there in 1861?

Another son named Andrew was born 1807 in Weisdale, have not found him in 1841 yet.
A daughter, Ann, was born 1788 in Weisdale, nothing further found on her yet either.

To put it into a nutshell, I'm looking for:-

Andrew born about 1760 (doubt he'll be there)
James born 1799 Weisdale
Isabella born 1793 Weisdale
Ann born 1788 Weisdale
Magnus born 1798 Weisdale
Elizabeth GARRIOCK born 1801 Weisdale
Andrew born 1807 Weisdale
Andrew born 1818 Weisdale

Or any LINKLATER born in Weisdale would be appreciated thank you.

BTW another source for their address in 1841 said it was 'Tubie, Weisdale' and not 'Saby' - perhaps they are the same place just spelt differently?   ???

Cheers....Dawn  ©¿©¬
Auckland, NZ

I live in NZ & am researching:-
The WILSONs of Longnor Staffordshire, Winster Derbyshire, Birkenhead Cheshire thence to New Zealand.
http://tinyurl.com/kua7g57

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 AND 1861 CENUS LOOKUP
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 06 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

Sorry you did not get a reply to this one.

Are you still looking for the information?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 January 07 22:20 GMT (UK) »
hi dawn, warm welcome to rootschat fae scotland, none of your linklater's give their birth place as weesdale??

could this be your magnus?

1841 census; tuby, whiteness & weesdale

andrew...age 80
isabella...age 45
james...age 45
betty....age 5
james...age 2

1841 census; banks, birsay

magnus...age 40...mason
catherine...age 35
mary...age 10
margery...age 5
john...age 3
isabella...age 9 months

1851 census; quarrybanks, hillside, birsay

magnus...age 51...mason/farmer of 1 1/2 acres...born birsay
catherine...age 48...born harray
mary...dau...age 22...farm labourer
margaret...dau...aage 19...egg merchant
john...son...age 13
isabella...dau...age 10
june...dau...age 7
catherine...dau...age 1

1861 census; quarrybanks

magnus...head...age 60...shoemaker
catherine...wife...age 58
jean...dau...age 17
catherine...dau...age 11

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline dawn-in-nz

• RootsChat Member
  • Cheers....Dawn ©¿©¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi joebhoy

Thank you for your reply but I'm afraid since I was on here last (2005) I've found that I was on the wrong LINKLATER line so I'm not interested in the Shetlander Linklaters now. At least not in the sense that they are in my line. I spent months researching them only to find out mine came from Orkney where I had originally thought they came from but couldn't find anything on the one I was after. Since the Scotland census has become available all has been revealed.

So now I'm after the McKAYs and CALDERs of Edinburgh and Durness!

Cheers....Dawn
Auckland, NZ
I live in NZ & am researching:-
The WILSONs of Longnor Staffordshire, Winster Derbyshire, Birkenhead Cheshire thence to New Zealand.
http://tinyurl.com/kua7g57

Offline laurene777

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 November 07 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Dawn, my husband is descended through James Linklater of Shetland......which was the line you were once looking for.  However, I see that wasn't your family afterall.

For anyone else, who maybe interested, my husband is descended from the Linklaters of Weisdale and I'm happy to share the info that we have. 

James > Andrew > Isabella > Jemima Grace who married a Shewan.  Their son, Laurence, moved to Canada.

Laurene in CT (USA)
email me directly ( ** ) without the brackets

Moderator comment: email address removed - please pass personal information by Personal Message (PM).  Replies that do not relate to living people can be posted below.  Thanks

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 November 07 14:42 GMT (UK) »
good afternoon laurene fae bonny scotland,

big welcome to rootschat, pleased to hear you can help with the linklaters, you might find it beneficial if you start a new post of your own, detailing a Little of the family which will allow others to identify their family and contact could be made.

dawn pal,

if you tell us which mckay's and which calder's are you family, i am sure someone may be of some help in discovering your family roots.

Joe
helping wherever possible