Author Topic: Strange Placename -- OBERDOLLYLAND -- Completed  (Read 7504 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Placename -- OBERDOLLYLAND
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if there are any estate papers from the Buccleuch Estate that can be accessed easily. I've done a Google and have found some that might be worth investigating that have come up on a NAS catalogue search  ( http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/ ) but  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
Drop a line to Langholm Archive Centre.  http://www.langholmarchive.com/  They have folk on the ground with local knowledge.

Langholm Parish only came into existence in 1703, so my money is still on Staplegordon = OBERDOLLYLAND, especially with the transcription being word for word.

WalterC
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 18:51 BST (UK) »
I've typed in Lyttle searching between 1538 and 1680 on SP there are 38 hits for Lyttle and 1 for Lytle showing all 38 plus the other in both Langholm and Staplegorton.

It must be around there somewhere, I'm still guessing the name is a farm, settlement (there are loads of those) or land.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
so my money is still on Staplegordon = OBERDOLLYLAND, especially with the transcription being word for word.

???  I don't understand how it's word for word  ???

I think the O(riginal) P(oster)  has lots of connections in the area and has tried hard to find the place

OK, thanks to gnu & fifer I'm convinced by the OPR primary source they highlighed that there is/was such a place in the Langholm area of Dumfriesshire with the name Over/Upper (Ober) Dolly (Dolby) Land.  It is still niggling at me is I can't find it in any other document or map.
I know that DGFHS have published a booklet of the OPR deaths for Langholm.  I was the actual volunteer researcher responsible for the editting and layout of that booklet and still have all my original notes on the placenames mentioned in text. There is just nothing listed that remotely looks like the placename in question.

Thanks emarbe for the very useful graphic.
My grateful thanks to ALL who took the time to have a look at this question.
Sy
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 20:30 BST (UK) »
Langholm Parish only came into existence in 1703, so my money is still on Staplegordon = OBERDOLLYLAND, especially with the transcription being word for word.

Hope you haven't got your shirt on it!  :P

Gnu has been all over the old map of the parish .......... zilch!  I've been looking all day and likewise nothing. 

OBERDOLLYLAND is not an available parish selection on the SP site, so therefore it is not a parish.  It may be a place/settlement/farm but definitely not a known or recognised aka Staplegordon or Langholm parish.

Offline gracie23

• RootsChat Member
  • We Remember
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 20:42 BST (UK) »
I too have scoured the old maps for this name, and have yet to come across another name beginning with "Ober". Is that not a German word for upper or over? In Scotland, I read, the similar word would be "Aber".
This one is a doozy alright! ;D
Deb
KEARNEY/CARNEY: Ireland
QUINLAN: Ireland
CONLIN: Ireland
COYLE: Longford Ireland to Montreal, Canada
PRENDERGAST: Kerry, Ireland to Montreal, Canada
O'LEARY: Wexford Ireland to Montreal Canada
MURPHY: Wexford Ireland
DOYLE: Wexford, Ireland
BRENNAN: Wexford, Ireland
LEAHY: Ireland
NOLAN: Ireland to Boston, Massachusetts

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
I’m just amazed that my simple request has generated so much interest and so many posts.  Thanks to everyone who has spent time considering this question and for all your helpful suggestions.  I’m reasonably satisfied with the translation.  Dolly, Dolby or Dobby are all feasable interpretations.  I’m also satisfied to learn that I was wrong in initially suspecting the original IGI transcript submitter might have invented Oberdollyland. 
The OPR sources are proof enough to me that such a place is/was located in the Langholm area or a neighbouring parish. The reference to Dolbyland Holm suggest to me that there were two farms, Upper/Over Dollyland and Dollyland-holm.  [ Home or Main is what we would call today the home farm.  Upper/Over/Nether are still found representing other farm leases with a larger estate.
Thanks again everyone – I’m now resorting to the old solution to genealogical brick walls.
Stopping looking and someday you or someone else will happen across the answer.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 16:52 BST (UK) »
Call off the genealogy bloodhounds WalterC has cracked it completely.
He emailed me a personal messaage while he was packing to go on holiday. 
How generous is that !
He wrote:
"Langholm As It Was" has the transcriptions of the register of baptisms as an appendix.
The Jan 31 1675 birth entry is transcribed as:
The sd. day John Lyttle s. to William Lyttle in Overdowgland.  Wit.  John Bettie (sic) in Dowglandholme and John Scott yr.
and the March 28 1675 birth entry is transcribed as:
The sd. day John Lyttle s. to John Lyttle in Overdowgland.  Wit.  John Bettie (sic) in Dowglandholme and John Scott yr.
That matches my attempt above at a translation with the added bonus of the full name of the first witness is also recorded.

We were not quite done and dusted so I looked at the 1828 Crawford Map [ original copy owned by DGFHS so no copyright issue there].
I didn’t quite find OVER DOWGLAND or DOWGLAND HOLME but I found DOWGLEN in Westerkirk Parish.  That is good enough for me -- unless somebody else says different !

Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
Now Dowglen makes more sense but is that not nearer the Kirk in Ewes Parish?

Definitely not in Staplegordon or Langholm parish.  No I see it's in Westerkirk parish, I wonder if they didn't like the minister there!  :P

Another puzzle solved well done!