Author Topic: Local knowledge Whitburn needed  (Read 9393 times)

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Local knowledge Whitburn needed
« on: Friday 19 July 13 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know where "Wester Reeves" is/was near Whitburn please?
I have a couple of baptisms of James Wood's daughters from the old parish registers in 1807 and 1809 which gives Wester Reeves (I think) after his name. Can't find an entry for Margaret in 1814 though - any ideas where would be the next closest place?
Many thanks
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Local knowledge Whitburn needed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 July 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
Goldie,  there's a Reveston House just south of Whitburn?

Skoosh.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 July 13 12:36 BST (UK) »
Could it have been a farm.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 July 13 12:39 BST (UK) »
Looks like you're near it Skoosh - Reeves is just to the NE of Reveston House on an old map. Will see if I can get the link.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 July 13 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The postcode is EH47 9AN, think it must have been a farm, there was a north reeves  and south reeves, also.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/wester-reeves/whitburn/bathgate/eh47-9an/8300797

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 July 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
I can't seem to link the old map but this link gives you the approx position of Reeves on a modern map:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vdx/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 July 13 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The postcode is EH47 9AN, think it must have been a farm, there was anorth and south reeves, also.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/wester-reeves/whitburn/bathgate/eh47-9an/8300797

Tom

I did wonder tidybooks. I was just going on personal experience. I had family farmed near Strathloanhead and their farm was Middle Strath. A few fields away RCer Mosstrooper's family farmed at Wester Strath.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 July 13 13:22 BST (UK) »
The Streetmap position is misleading - it puts Reeves in the middle of a housing estate about half a mile to the east. Reeves is at National Grid reference NS 941 639.

Go to http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS9463 and click on the map to enlarge it. Reeves is marked but not named on the maps. It is north of the road leading from the A706 to Reveston House, about a third of the way along (or two-thirds if you are starting from Reveston House.

Move your cursor around there until the reference at the top of the map box reads NS 94151 63946 and you'll be right on top of it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 July 13 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for giving the full reference, Forfarian  :)

The arrow was a rough approximation (as I said)  of  Reeves from a different map onto the modern one*. I've not done any mapwork (apart from hillwalking and car navigation)  since I was 18  so I'm a bit rusty  ;D ;D ;D ;D

However,  I see that my arrow wasn't all that far out and it does seem to be close to the housing estate.