Author Topic: Religion - what is the correct term to use for the official/main religion of UK  (Read 13105 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
There is no official UK religion. The Church of England has no status in Scotland, where there were penal laws against the episcopalians in the 18th century. The Church of Scotland being presbyterian.

Skoosh.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There is no official UK religion. The Church of England has no status in Scotland, where there were penal laws against the episcopalians in the 18th century. The Church of Scotland being presbyterian

As has been said before - Church of England, Church of Scotland, Presbyterian etc are NOT Religions. They are denominations , ALL are of Christian religion.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The Queen is the head of state, a Christian, Supreme Governor of the Church of England and Defender of the Faith i.e. Christianity.
The Coronation Oath;
Archbishop. Will you to the utmost of your power maintain the Laws of God and the true profession of the Gospel? Will you to the utmost of your power maintain in the United Kingdom the Protestant Reformed Religion established by law? Will you maintain and preserve inviolably the settlement of the Church of England, and the doctrine, worship, discipline, and government thereof, as by law established in England? And will you preserve unto the Bishops and Clergy of England, and to the Churches there committed to their charge, all such rights and privileges, as by law do or shall appertain to them or any of them?

Queen
. All this I promise to do.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The UK also has a large community of Jedi Knights!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

Blue

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Good evening,

I believe we are correctly known as Anglican Catholics since the reformation. And all because the Roman Catholics wouldn't let Henry the 8th have a divorce. He broke away from the church of Rome to start the church of England with him as the head. He then directed them to give him one or woe betide them.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
Apart from correcting terminology and giving very useful background information, I don't think we've come anywhere near answering the original query from Westy11.

I am from the Quaker town of Darlington (North East England) and don't know much about them apart from belonging to rich and influential families with opposition to warfare and alcohol.

The Quakers were also empowered to conduct legal marriages outside of the Established Church but acceptance would depend on their membership. If they voted against a Quaker marriage then the only alternative would be the Established Church, and I would suggest that the Church of England would be the clear favourite.

Regards,
Colin

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Religion - what is the correct term to use for the official/main religion of UK
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 July 14 00:55 BST (UK) »
I'm at the moment attending lectures on "Religions of the World"
According to our lecturer, it has been established (no pun intended) that there are some THIRTYFOUR THOUSAND variations of Christianity in the world !!!

:)  :)  :)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Religion - what is the correct term to use for the official/main religion of UK
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 July 14 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

You have hit the nail on the head.  However my initial post and the resulting thread have been illuminating and as said previously I have learned a lot...

It is also interesting because I was researching a non Quaker family last night & located a marriage certificate [not sure if certificate is the correct word but you do understand what I mean].  This certificated states "...Married in the St James Chapel of Ease [?] according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church by, ......." the marriage service was performed in Swansea, Wales.

It was in this context I was attempting to identify a denomination given the document [and many others] assumes there is one denomination considered as the Established Church. 

Notwithstanding the initial poorly worded question I do think I have the answer now [Church of England] but given the marriage service was performed in Wales perhaps that is incorrect. ???

I genuinely thank one and all for your commitment to this forum and to people like me researching their family.  :)

Westy11

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 July 14 03:42 BST (UK) »
I'm at the moment attending lectures on "Religions of the World"
According to our lecturer, it has been established (no pun intended) that there are some THIRTYFOUR THOUSAND variations of Christianity in the world !!!
Dawn M

I wonder if they bother to count in the version that preceded the Church in Rome, that is the Serapis Cult.    Hadrian wrote a letter in 79CE in which he called the Bishops of Serapis by the name 'Chrestiens'.     The name itself derives from the Ancient Egyptian word Khrst which meant 'Buried'.   It can be seen on the coffins of many mummies - e.g. the coffin of Nahkt-Ankh dating back more than 3000 years.  You can check this on the net by googling this name.    In time people thought more of the mummy as having gone through 70 days of mummification rituals of which the main part was the anointing of the body by embalming fluids.
     In the Septuagint Isaiah 45:1 the Persian King Cyrus is named the 'Christo'.    This very same verse is on the Persian Cylinder though on it Cyrus is just named as 'King of the City'.
     The Egyptian Son of God was also known as 'Iosa' and this name means 'Coming Son'.   It is still spelled the same in Scots Gaelic - e.g. Mark "8:33 Ach Iosa a tionndadh, sheall e air a dheisciopuil, is bhagair e air Peadar, ag radh: Theirig air mo chulaobh, a shatain: oir chan eil tlachd agad do nithean Dhe, ach do nithean dhaoine."   (See Readmany versions of the Bible online).
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields