Author Topic: Religion - what is the correct term to use for the official/main religion of UK  (Read 13114 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Always knew there was some kind of independence about Isle of Man/Manx but had no idea they were not actually part of UK nor the EU.
As I said in an earlier post this thread is a great learning curve.  The variety of facts, thoughts and opinions is fascinating.
Thanks again Westy11 for starting this post.
Regards Margaret

Thanks Margaret.  I admit to initially thinking it was a simple question.  ;D

However what may have been a badly worded question has resulted for me in a great learning curve.   

Westy11

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Always knew there was some kind of independence about Isle of Man/Manx but had no idea they were not actually part of UK nor the EU.
As I said in an earlier post this thread is a great learning curve.  The variety of facts, thoughts and opinions is fascinating.
Thanks again Westy11 for starting this post.
Regards Margaret
The Isle of Man also has a strange relationship with the commonwealth of which it is not a member but does participate in various of its organisations like the commonwealth games.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Isle of Man also has a strange relationship with the commonwealth of which it is not a member but does participate in various of its organisations like the commonwealth games.

Wot?!
The Isle of Man is indeed a member of the Commonwealth! ;D

Why do so many people have problems with the status of the Isle of Man?

It is a Crown Dependency, NOT part of the UK (Or England, or Scotland).
It is an Associate member of the EU - not officially part of the EU.
It is a member of The Commonwealth.
Queen Elizabeth is in fact the Lord of Mann!

It has it's own Parliament, Tynwald, which has been in existence for over 1000 years.
Has it's own legal system - using Advocates and Deemsters rather than lawyers, solicitors and judges.
Issues it's own stamps and currency!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile

Wot?!
The Isle of Man is indeed a member of the Commonwealth! ;D

Why do so many people have problems with the status of the Isle of Man?

It is a Crown Dependency, NOT part of the UK (Or England, or Scotland).
It is an Associate member of the EU - not officially part of the EU.
It is a member of The Commonwealth.
Queen Elizabeth is in fact the Lord of Mann!

It has it's own Parliament, Tynwald, which has been in existence for over 1000 years.
Has it's own legal system - using Advocates and Deemsters rather than lawyers, solicitors and judges.
Issues it's own stamps and currency!

The Isle of Man is not an associate member of the EU but has various trading rights negotiated as part of the UK's membership.

Similarly it is not a member of the Commonwealth, unless this has happened in the last year but certainly was contemplating applying a year or so ago.  However as a result of its relationship with the UK it takes part in the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association amongst other Commonwealth institutions.

The Channel Island Bailiwicks of Guernsey and Jersey have similar relationships.  The other main channel islands are part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
There was a campaign by local Irish groups prior to the 2011 Census to get more Merseysiders to tick the Irish box.

Blue

Interesting that there was no campaign to state "Welsh".
During the industrial revolution there was a lot of migration from Wales into Lancashire. Even now the most common surname in Liverpool (and Manchester) is of Welsh origin ,according to a surname map published recently . Williams is the surname if I remember correctly .

(sorry if off topic)