Author Topic: Religion - what is the correct term to use for the official/main religion of UK  (Read 13120 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The established church in Ireland for hundreds of years was the Church of Ireland but it was later disestablished (1871) so that since disestablishment there's been no established church in Ireland.

Blue

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thanks Blue70

I can now see my question was far too broad but I think I now have all the various countries that combine to make the UK.

Westy11 :)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
The established church in Ireland for hundreds of years was the Church of Ireland but it was later disestablished (1871) so that since disestablishment there's been no established church in Ireland.

and, in Ireland, as far as I know, up to disestablishment, it was known as the United Church of England and Ireland .. this from an 1863 Marriage Cert.
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The 1800 Act of Union which came into force 1st January 1801 created the United Kingdom and united the Church of Ireland and Church of England.

On and after the first day of January one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one the said union created by Act of Parliament between the Churches of England and Ireland shall be dissolved, and the said Church of Ireland, herein-after referred to as " the said Church," shall cease to be established by law. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1869/42/contents/enacted
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The religion is Christianity, whether Quaker, Catholic, Protestant, etc. The established denomination was Church of England (Anglicanism, loosely Protestantism) after the Reformation.

The Church of England is the official religion but historically it (and it's high church Anglican) is closer to the Catholic religion/church/mass than what we now think of as "Protestantism".
The C of E / Anglican church still retains much of its Catholic roots in England

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The Church of England (Anglican) is the official denomination the religion is Christianity
There were 340 Christian denominations in the UK in 2010
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thanks so much everyone - I now believe I have the scope of the poorly worded question.... ;D
Westy11

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
And we haven't even mentioned the "Other Bits of Britain"?!?!

Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man!
But I suppose, as these aren't in the United Kingdom, we can ignore them for now!! ;D ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
KGarrad

That has to be one of the most comprehensive posts I have as yet experienced  :D- The responses will guide me throughout the UK as it applies to denominations & religion in all the far flung outreaches of UK.
Truly I have thoroughly enjoyed myself and have learned a lot. ;)

Westy11