Author Topic: Mass movement in the UK 1850's  (Read 1998 times)

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mass movement in the UK 1850's
« on: Friday 25 July 14 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, i am researching a colleagues family tree, his family came from the small village of Barton Mills in Suffolk and the neighbouring village of Tuddenham and moved to County Durham Pelton, Urpeth and Chester Le Street.

At first i thought how sad that a family of about 5 people should up and move to a village hundreds of miles away, then i thought why would a farmer from Barton Mills end up in Pelton Durham, it's a Small village it's self, and it was then i stumbled across something quite peculiar, between 1851 and 1861 several families moved from the small villages of Barton Mills and Tuddenham up to Pelton, Urpeth and Chester Le Street. at least 50 people! if anyone may have a reason why this would have happened i would be so gratefull. the villages are so small and unheard of i just can't figure it out.

Many thanks

Jason

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mass movement in the UK 1850's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 July 14 22:13 BST (UK) »
Presumably because they were looking for work. I suggest you check the Durham Mining Museum website and see when the local pits opened as a starting point for your research.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

Well - they're only unheard of if you are not from the NE. I would suggest something to do with mining. Coal from the NE was very important in the industrial revolution. What jobs did they do? If you put the request on the Durham board someone may know more.
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 July 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Since Harlem agrees with me, here is a link to the website I mentioned.
http://www.dmm.org.uk/mindex.htm
It is a nightmare to navigate, but has some very useful information.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 July 14 22:34 BST (UK) »
I looked at the 1861 census for Urpeth in Durham, and yes - there were several families from Tuddenham in Suffolk. The men from those families were all coal miners. I looked up a couple of them in the 1851 census and they were in Tuddenham working as agricultural labourers. So I'd say the move to Durham was due to lack of work in agriculture and/or much better wages in coal mining.

The mine owners, back then, recruited from wherever they could. They often employed agents to find recruits, and would pay removal and travel costs. There must have been an agent active in the Tuddenham area. You might want to see if you can look at local newspapers from the area in case there are adverts from mine owners or agents, or any write ups about it.

AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 July 14 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you all for your suggestions, Mining was a possible with a new one opening in Pelton in the late 1850's but i just thought it unlikley as they were Ag Lab's, not being local to any of these places where should i look for adverts ? newspaper archive ? but then searching may be tricky. Regards

Jason

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 July 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
Most of my family moved from ag.labs to mining in that period.

Offline missmolly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 July 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
Most of my family moved from ag.labs to mining in that period.

3 generations of my family moved from Somerset about 1850 and by 1851 they were all living together in 1 house in Lancashire. The men were Ag Labs in Somerset but became either coalminers or working in Cotton Mills

Mo
Harrison,  Lancs
Phillips, Bucks/Chesh
Holgate, Lancs/Chesh
Etchells, Chesh/Lancs
Schneider, India

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 July 14 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you all for your suggestions, Mining was a possible with a new one opening in Pelton in the late 1850's but i just thought it unlikley as they were Ag Lab's, not being local to any of these places where should i look for adverts ? newspaper archive ? but then searching may be tricky. Regards

Jason

It was the Industrial Revolution.
It had a profound impact on the whole country . People migrated from the countryside into towns/cities. The "Enclosure" of land and the mechanisation of farming meant many had no choice (though some did put up a fight) .  New machinery to pump water out of even deeper coal mines. New techniques in steel production like the Bessemer Process and the new power looms and powered spinning frames of the textile industry (the wool/worsted and cotton mills). No laws to regulate working hours, pay, conditions and child labour . Small towns and villages turned into huge towns or cities in the space of a few decades. In the early 1700s a typical  family might have worked in the fields, the "ag labs" but by 1850 they might be living in cramped terraced streets in a large town or city and working in a local coal mine, foundry or a mill/factory. Even if someones occupation was brick maker, mechanic,  carpenter or a blacksmith , their work was probably connected to these types of industries if they lived in an industrial area.
It was coal that powered it all.