Author Topic: 1841/1851 census for Hopeman  (Read 2009 times)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841/1851 census for Hopeman
« on: Tuesday 30 July 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
Is there anyway that I can find out who lived at 42 Forsyth Street, Duffus, without a name?  I can't seem to find out on the Freecen website.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 census for Hopeman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

FindMyPast are the only website with an address search facility for those censuses.  However - their Terms & Conditions prohibit publication of that info from their website
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 00:25 BST (UK) »
Is there anyway that I can find out who lived at 42 Forsyth Street, Duffus, without a name?

If the FreeCEN transcription is to be believed, the enumerator in 1841 just wrote 'Hopeman' for all addresses in the cillage, and the one in 1851 just wrote 'Village of Hopeman' so it looks rather as if individual street addresses were not recorded at all, in which case the answer to your question is no.

If you wanted to be absolutely sure, you could have a look at the microfilm of the original document. These are readily available in various libraries and family history centres in Scotland, and they can be rented at any Latter Day Saints' family history centre anywhere.

Can you explain why you need to know this? Maybe the combined thinking power of RootsChatters would be able to find a way round it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 00:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Forfarian

Many thanks for replying. My GGG/M Bridget Simpson, was living at 42 Forsyth Street, Duffus in 1861 after being widowed in 1854 while living in Canada,  I assumed that the house may have belonged to my GGG/F's family, as Bridget was Irish.  My GGG'F was born in Alves so I wondered why Bridget would come to live in Duffus if she didn't know anyone in the area.  Maybe my logic is wrong.  She was living at 26 Abbey Street in Elgin from 1871 to 1894 until her death.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 00:45 BST (UK) »
The 1861 shows them as a separate household at that address although that doesn't preclude other households sharing the same premises.

As you know - there was just Bridget and her 9yr old son shown for that address
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)