Author Topic: Smeatons  (Read 13988 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Smeatons
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 09 October 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
Margaret Cameron who is buried in Smeaton's Ground 1835 was married to Farquhar Cameron. I have his discharge papers with some interesting information that has helped me find his birth place. He was born in the Parish of Kilmorack
Inverness-shire. See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NH4944

On his discharge in 1808 he was at the soldiers hospital in Ireland. Is it possible he would have stayed there or did the soldiers get taken back to there homeland?
Many did go home, but not necessarily all.

I am wondering if they would bury a soldier in the same grounds as his wife Margaret Cameron?
If he died in Edinburgh too, you would expect them to be buried together. But if he died somewhere else, then they probably wouldn't take him a long way to be buried with her, or vice versa. Burial was normally in the nearest graveyard to where the person died.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline KristinaCameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 09 October 14 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.

CAMERON, Lindsay, Borrowman, Roberts, Giller, Eckersley.
BOLGER, Tully,  Low, Paterson, Ramsay, Fergus/Forgie  Millar, Stowell, Delaney, Hennessey, Walsh.

Offline KristinaCameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 09 October 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NH4944
That looks a lovely place. The little church is so quaint. I used to have a dream for many years and could never figure out the place...as years went by the house on the hill i used to dream about was still there and there used to be a huge lake river....much like this place you sent me Forfarian. I am starting to think maybe that has been my dream all along...the house on the hill is the kirk....
CAMERON, Lindsay, Borrowman, Roberts, Giller, Eckersley.
BOLGER, Tully,  Low, Paterson, Ramsay, Fergus/Forgie  Millar, Stowell, Delaney, Hennessey, Walsh.

Offline Unë kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Farquhar Cameron
« Reply #48 on: Friday 10 October 14 14:48 BST (UK) »
Canongate Kirkyard memorial:

"To the memory of the soldiers who died in Edinburgh Castle, situated in the parish of Canongate, interred herewith military honours from the year 1692 to 1880. "Death called them away from the martial ranks and sad was each comrade’s tread as they bore them along to the march in Saul Midst crowds to their lonely bed But their country’s sons will around this stone Oft speak of the deeds of the brave And gratefully look on the grassy sod That grows o’er the soldiers grave"

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farquhar Cameron
« Reply #49 on: Friday 10 October 14 15:19 BST (UK) »
That is touching.  Thank you for sharing that with us.

Canongate Kirkyard memorial:

"To the memory of the soldiers who died in Edinburgh Castle, situated in the parish of Canongate, interred herewith military honours from the year 1692 to 1880. "Death called them away from the martial ranks and sad was each comrade’s tread as they bore them along to the march in Saul Midst crowds to their lonely bed But their country’s sons will around this stone Oft speak of the deeds of the brave And gratefully look on the grassy sod That grows o’er the soldiers grave"
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline the Luddite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Montana,
I was reviewing some of my old entries and came across your posting. You were looking for Ann(e) GIBSON's maiden name which I believe is GILMOUR. She was married to Daniel GIBSON who died in Glasgow on 11th August 1871. Daniel remarried someone called Mary, sadly I still have not found her maiden name, nor know if there were any children from this marriage (most unlikely), nor do I have any evidence that they did actually marry.

I notice that you are researching the GILMOUR surname so may now know some of this information.
Daniel GIBSON is my wife's 2nd Great-grandfather.
Leslie Williamson
living in Bonnie Scotland