Author Topic: locating william & jane caldwell  (Read 4859 times)

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: locating william & jane caldwell
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 August 14 14:02 BST (UK) »

Hello Brylio,

Here is the family of William Caldwell. in 1881. census.

Address, 12 East Mayfield, Edinburgh, St. Cuthberts.

William Caldwell, Head, Printer Lithographer, M. age 51 years, M. born Paisley, Renfrew,
Margaret Caldwell, Wife, M. age 38 years, F. born Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty,
William Caldwell, Son, Pupil Teacher, U. age 17 years, M. born Edinburgh,
Isabella S. Caldwell, Daur, Pupil Governess, U. age 16 years, F. born Edinburgh,
John C. Caldwell, Son, Chemist, Apprentice, U. age 15 years, M. born Edinburgh,
Horace Caldwell, Son, Hosier, Apprentice, U. age 13 years, M. born Edinburgh,
Charles E. Caldwell, Son, Scholar, age 12 years, M. born Edinburgh,
Alfred G. Caldwell, Son, Scholar, age 10 years, M. born Edinburgh,
David L. Caldwell, Son, Scholar, age 6 years, M. born Edinburgh,
Victor Caldwell, Son, age 4 years, M. born Edinburgh,
Maggie L. Caldwell, Daur, age 1 year, F. born Edinburgh,
Annie Stewart, Servant Domestic, U. age 14 years, F. born Edinburgh.

The above William Caldwell, married Margaret Munro, 19/August/1862. Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh.

You will also note that this William Caldwell, was born approx 1830/1831. in Paisley, Renfrew.

You also state that a brother of your John Caldwell, called William, was born 1821. in Paisley.

You also state that Ella( Isabella ) Caldwell, died 1923. Ella Caldwell, actually died 1933. in Edinburgh, and she was not married.

Its quite possible that the William Caldwell, you had as born 1821. died young and his parents William Caldwell, and his wife Mary, had another William Caldwell, in 1830/1831. which would make this William Caldwell, a brother of your John Caldwell, therefore the reason the communications between Ella Caldwell, and Mary Elizabeth Caldwell, who i presume is the daughter of John Caldwell, and Mary Bird.

If you are privy to the parents names of your John Caldwell, ie fact then the marriage certificate of this William Caldwell, and Margaret Munro, of 1862. would confirm the parents names as they will be on this marriage certificate.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline brylio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 August 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
jonn,
Thank you for the info you have sent me. I must apology as i had Ella death down as 1933, don't know why I put 1923 down, must have had a bad day that day. The William born 1821 is the brother of John Caldwell. This William also had a son named William, he is the one you have listed marrying Margaret Munro.   
Is it possible for me to track any of William & Margaret Munro family today??
fraser- alexander fraser and margaret mcbain,scotland
caldwell-john caldwell and mary bird,scotland
templeman-caius templeman and elizabeth hughes,wales

Offline brylio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 October 15 11:57 BST (UK) »
Finally had a chance to look at death certificates suggested by jen at SP but these are not correct.
Any help in locating these two, William born 1859 Ireland and Jane born 1863 Dalkeith would be appreciated.
Jonn, any ideas how I might be able to connect to the family of William Caldwell you gave me living at East Mayfield. I know Ella died unmarried, I have found a possible reference to a William Caldwell born 1863 migrating to Canada who was a professor at McGill uni.
Any suggestions to how to post a photo in Edinburgh for somebody to recognize or know. This photo was taken in Newcastle in Tyne early 1900's and is connected to this family and could be one of the children from Mayfield in adult life.
fraser- alexander fraser and margaret mcbain,scotland
caldwell-john caldwell and mary bird,scotland
templeman-caius templeman and elizabeth hughes,wales