Author Topic: Bennet/Arthur of Eastercraig/Easter Craig, Torpichen  (Read 2052 times)

Offline LillianCat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bennet/Arthur of Eastercraig/Easter Craig, Torpichen
« on: Wednesday 15 October 14 01:57 BST (UK) »
Still researching Peter Bennet Marshall born of fornication on Feb. 8, 1816 in Bathgate and baptized on May 2, 1816. Robert Marshall and Jean Arthur are listed as his parents on the birth registry.

Think I have finally cracked the derivation of the Bennet name-which has persisted until the birth of my brother-Peter Bennet Marshall-in 1963.

There is a Jannet (Jean?) Arthur born to Elizabeth Bennet and Robert Arthur from Torphichen in 1796. In Ramsdale's Arthur Family listing (line 121) a Margaret Arthur is born and witnessed by a Peter Bennet. Elizabeth Bennet had both a brother and father named Peter Bennet. So I think this is the correct Elizabeth Bennet/Robert Arthur duo, as there are 2, the other one listed as being from Easter Redburn.

I've tried researching Eastercraig and have only found the name attached to a farm called Drumbowie.
Does anyone have any further information on this family or the possible location?

Hope at least some of this made sense!

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bennet/Arthur of Eastercraig/Easter Craig, Torpichen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 October 14 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Lillian,
"I think this is the correct Elizabeth Bennet/Robert Arthur duo, as there are 2, the other one listed as being from Easter Redburn."

I think these two entries may refer to just the one couple, only the residence name has changed

110 Elizabeth, dau of Robert Arthur & Elizabeth Bennet of Easter Redburn bpt 24 Apr 1791
121 Margaret, dau of Robert Arthur & Elizabeth Bennet of Eastercraig bpt 16 Oct 1798
 http://www.ramsdale.org/torpreg.htm

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 October 14 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Scotlands People have the following Will:
Robert Marshall of Bridgend, spouse of Jean Arthur. Inventory, Trust Disposition 1859, Stirling Sheriff Court (41 pages)

Offline LillianCat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 05:21 GMT (UK) »
OH my!

Why hadn't I thought that they could be the same couple??

And thank you so much for the will information! I'll look into that.Would be interesting as I have no information of their marriage or if their child Peter Bennet Marshall (the original) ever had any siblings.

Thank you so much!!