Author Topic: James Connolly  (Read 47139 times)

Offline patrick pearse

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Connolly
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarah, my name is Patrick Pearse i am Nora (ward) pearse youngest son the people in the photo are
My Grandmother Aideen ward and the tallest girl is Moira (rip)the boy is hugh jr ? girl with the ball is my mother
The smaller girl is my aunt Zelda (rip) as for the other child not sure what her name is but i will out.

Ps.You can find me on Facebook you will see a picture of me and my son

Offline Oliverd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 19:48 BST (UK) »
I saw the name of the Thread of James Connolly and the last post responding before mine was Patrick Pearse.......

Made me smile from a historical context on the aptness of it.

Both names my kids will know of and treasure............to the families we can only ever say "Thank You".

Offline michelle delaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 05 September 14 03:50 BST (UK) »
MY NANNY NORA PEARSE HAS DIED JAN GONE LATE GRANDAUGHTER OF JAMES CONNOLLY , Nora, wife of the late Peter (Peenie) and granddaughter of the late James Connolly 1916 MISS YOU LOADS X X X

Offline srey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 26 September 14 00:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Michelle Delaney,

Sorry to hear of your grandmother dying recently - she would have been a second cousin of my father George Reynolds - he now lives near Naas which I believe is near to where the Ward family settled - he never met her though - what a shame.  My condolences. 

Offline SteamboatLiz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 08 December 14 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello! My name is Susan Maxwell Schmidt and I am hoping someone can help me connect my James Connolly lineage. Here's what I know (and unfortunately it ain't much):

1. My grandmother was Elizabeth O'Brien, born December 1893 to one Mary Connolly O'Brien (1873) of County Cork. I believe Mary's father was also named James Connolly, born sometime around 1837 in England.

2. My grandmother and her sister were to be sent to the U.S. when Elizabeth was 13 because it was feared their close connection to James Connolly made it too dangerous for them to stay in Ireland. Ultimately my grandmother's sister wasn't allowed to travel because she was ill, so they wouldn't let her board the ship and Elizabeth made the voyage alone (sans their trunk, which they removed with her sister). If the age of Elizabeth at the time of the voyage is indeed correct, then apparently the voyage occurred in or around 1907, nine years before the Easter Rising.

3. Elizabeth had a cousin Mary whom she referred to, oddly enough, as Cousin Mary. Mary, who remained in Ireland, and Elizabeth remained very close and in touch for the remainder of Mary's life, which was until at least into the late 60s or 70s (I'm basing the dates entirely on when I can recall her still being mentioned at family gatherings, which due to the amount of brain cells I destroyed in the 70s makes it sketchy at best). I mention this because the "cousin" reference is obviously made to differentiate her from another close family relative named Mary and I doubt that would have been Elizabeth's mother. I am not positive her sister's name was also Mary, but it may well have been.

Can any of you genealogy masters tie my raggedy strings into a beautiful bow by any chance? Frankly I am in awe, this stuff makes my brain hurt almost as much as complex math. Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Elizabeth O'Brien Coady Gatier (AKA "Steamboat Liz")

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 08 December 14 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you any idea who she was travelling to maybe relatives or older siblings.

Offline SteamboatLiz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I believe she was going to Eleanor Beaver of Beaver College (the name has since been changed for obvious reasons), and Beaver, PA fame. I know she worked for her for many years, in fact my mother was named after her. I'm fairly certain she was who took her in as soon as she came to the States, and I remember something about them not being able to find my grandmother for a couple days. That's all I know.

Offline Coningesby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 13:23 GMT (UK) »
A lady asked me to research her descent from James Connolly the Irish Nationalist.

I thought it would be an easy task once she told me which child of James she was descended from.
However then she told me she descended from an illegitimate daughter of James [?]
Now I appreciate that this might be an 'old wives tail', but the lady has Moira as a middle name-her mother was called Moira and the grandmother was known as Molly...so I just don't know!

The child was said to be with nuns in Dublin, then in London.

I have searched for any mention of an illegitimate daughter of James Connolly without success....

Does anyone have any clues
Watson (Worcestershire/Herefordshire/Norfolk/Yorkshire)
Coningesby
(Herefordshire)
Owens
(Westmeath Ireland/Hull east Yorkshire)
Grey (Buildwas Abbey Shropshire)
Hungerford-
 South Marston/Salisbury/Lincolnshire Wilts

Offline Seán Ó Roideáin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi I live in County Monaghan in Ireland and I am interested in any evidence of James Connolly's parents John Connolly and Mary McGinn, who were both reportedly born in County Monaghan. Does anybody have any evidence of their dates and birthplaces thanks.