Author Topic: Norton Canon - St Nicholas churchyard and The Three Horseshoes pub  (Read 8899 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norton Canon - St Nicholas churchyard and The Three Horseshoes pub
« on: Tuesday 01 October 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya - 5 years ago I visited Norton Canon to search St Nicholas churchyard - it was a Sunday morning and was torrential rain ,so I never got to search the Church grounds - I remember The Three Horshoes pub in the village - can anyone local tell me if St Nicholas has a graveyard and whether the pub is still open please ...I live in Liverpool and would like to plan another visit - I have over 200 years of Merrick family from Norton Canon in my tree...
 - how far is Ocle Pychard from Norton Canon - my GG Grandmother Mary Ann Merrick ( her dad was from Norton Canon ) came from Ocle Pychard to Garston ,Liverpool in 1873....
thanks
allan  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Norton Canon - St Nicholas churchyard and The Three Horseshoes pub
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
A quick trawl of the internet reveals that the pub is still open and that the church has a graveyard.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 19:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Cati ...I will plan a trip with grandson at Half Term ...do a bit of fishing as well
thanks again
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
My distant relative has found a newspaper cutting from March 1913 - it lists the 4 properties that were auctioned after my gg grandmothers death
can ayone tell me if the 3 Norton Canon properties are still there ??- thanks

I will just write what`s on the Newspaper article
properties of Mrs Mary Ann Oakes
Lot 1 - Substantially built dwelling house and stabling known as Brook House in Bell Square ,Weobley
Lot 2 - Productive smallholding known as The Folly in Eccles Green,Norton Canon -consisting of comfortable house/outbuildings/garden/orchard and pasture containing 2a or 8p ( i presume this means 2 acres - what is 8p ??_
Lot 3 an enclosure of arable land known as The Royal Acre in Norton Canon containing
3r 32p
Lot 4 A cottage ,garden and orchard in Pig Street ,Norton Canon containing about 1r 16p

cheers
allan oakes

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 October 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
A quick google suggests that Brook House in Weobley still exists, as does The Folly in Norton Canon (postcode HR4 7BH)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 October 13 13:53 BST (UK) »
Pig Street also still exists (postcode HR4 7BP), but I'm not sure which property you would be looking at.  I can't find any reference to The Royal Acre (but I did only do a very quick search).  My parents live in that area, so if you want I can ask them and their friends if they know of it.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 October 13 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Spidermonkey ...I am planning a trip next week for 2 nights....hopefully I will find the 4 properties involved
cheers - I appreciate your help
allan

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 October 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
HI alan,
The Folly is now part of Norton Canon garage, on the main road, no wonder I could not find it for you when I went past last week     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 October 13 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mazi - weather permitting , I am coming for 2 nights next week with 2 grandkids during half term ...cheers
allan