Author Topic: Doherty's of Enagh Lough, Londonderry  (Read 3254 times)

Offline terrydoo73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Doherty's of Enagh Lough, Londonderry
« on: Tuesday 15 July 14 12:14 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the Doherty's of Enagh Lough, Londonderry.  Sarah Jane McIlmoyle married William Doherty on 26 June 1868 and by 1901 they had 3 children - Matthew, Sarah and Eliza Jane.  Guessing at their ages they would have been born in 1872, 1874 and 1879.  My connection is through Sarah Jane McIlmoyle, my great grandfather's sister.  Her parents were Matthew McIlmoyle and Elizabeth Sarah Moore and came from Dirtagh, Limavady

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Doherty's of Enagh Lough, Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 05:46 BST (UK) »
Do you happen to know what religion they were? My 3x gt grandfather Henry Dougherty/Doherty b c 1787 was from Coolkeeragh which is adjacent to Enagh Lough. At least at his generation onwards my Dougherty family were Presbyterians and attended Glendermot Presbyterian Church.

Henry died in 1877 and was survived by his wife but her name was not given in his will. The children listed were my gt-gt grandfather William John (b c1836), Martha born c1832/1838 (difft dates on US census, married name SEARLES), Catherine b 1843 (m Lowther) and Margaret, Mary Jane & Eliza.  I have not been able to trace the marriages or families of these last three.

Tithes show a Henry Doherty and Hugh Doherty at Culkeeragh, ?1830s. Also the 1835 census has:

1835 Census   Killkeeraughmore
      Henry DOGHERTY
      Hugh    DOGHERTY
      William DOGHERTY

Index of Derry Wills 1612 – 1858   
   1812   Michael DOUGHERTY   Coolkeeraugh, p Upper Langfield 
   1789  Daniel DOUGHERTY   Dressogue, p Longfield
   1809   Neill DOUGHERTY   Dressog,  p Langfield
   1839   James DOUGHERTY   Dressog,
   1805   John DOUGHERTY (farmer) Gortinaire, Liberties of L’derry, p Glendermott

Hope something in there may be of use, though there is nothing immediately obvious.

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 06:25 BST (UK) »
I found your William in the 1901 census and see they are also Presbyterian.

I would think it is quite likely that your William Doherty was related to my gt-grandfather William John Doherty/Dougherty, and perhaps a cousin. (I got the number of gts wrong on my previous post, Henry was my 2 x gt grandfather.)  William John appears to have been the only son of Henry, so Henry's father could have been a William or a John but I have no further information on Henry's family. William John Dougherty married at Glendermott Church in 1873.

Both William John Dougherty and his sister Catherine Lowther had moved to the other side of the river by 1901. My grandmother was born at Creevagh, Londonderry and the Lowthers who had been in Lisdillon in 1877, had moved to Castrues in Killea.

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 07:04 BST (UK) »
I have just checked my 1831 census info on the National Archives site (my original info was from scanty notes I made from a microfiche sometime in the 1990s). On the National Archives site Henry Doherty of Killkeeraughmore was Presbyterian but William was not. Hugh seems not to have been either male nor any religion.

I hope I am right in assuming Killkeeraughmore and Coolkeeragh are the same place.

The National Archives site also gave the further information that there were 4 males in Henry's household and 4 females plus one female servant. All Presbyterian. This is interesting as if this is the same family as were living there in 1877, then there must have been older children as my own gt grandfather was presumably not born until later.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 07:34 BST (UK) »
I have found the marriage of William Doherty in Drumachose on 26 Jun 1868 in Ancestry and the record shows he was 26 & born 1842, and his father was Thomas.

So there is nothing to help connect him to my Henry Doherty.

By the way, the 1911 census says William & Sarah had 4 children all living. Do you think they would have recorded Robert T Doherty as a visitor in 1901, if he was a son but had moved away? I expect he was related even if he wasn't their oldest son.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Doherty's of Cromkill
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 August 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
I am deviating from Enagh Lough now as searching for a connection between William of Enagh Lough and Henry of Coolkeeragh has led me to another Presbyterian Doherty family in the "Clondermot" catchment who I am now certain are related to Henry but I don't know how.

I was reminded that my gt-grandfather William possibly had other sisters as our information was that some old Dougherty Aunts had left money to a Tilly Doak. After searching the other Doherty's in the 1831 census & looking for Presbyterian Dohertys in the area in 1901, I looked through the >1000 Dohertys in the PRONI wills index.

I found Rachel Doherty, spinster of Cromkill who died 1916. Probate of her Will was granted to Matilda Semple, married woman. In 1911, Rachel and her brother Hugh were listed as Aunt and Uncle to Robert Semple, Tilly nee Doak's husband. Another Aunt would have been Elizabeth who I also found in PRONI. Elizabeth died 1 March 1900. Hugh was also there and he died later in 1911.

I suspect Tilly and Robert may have been cousins as further searching showed Tilly Doak's mother was a Rebecca Doherty and Robert Semple's mother was Jane Doherty.

Of course as there are so many Dohertys Rebecca and Jane may not have been related.

Jane Doherty married John Semple in Londonderry in 1867 and Rebecca Doherty married James Doak in Londonderry in 1880 before emigrating to Canada where Tilly and her brother Robert were born.

All this is new information to me since my last post, so I am keen to find anyone else with information about this Cromkill Doherty family.

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 August 14 11:49 BST (UK) »
Back to Thomas Doherty father of William of Enagh Lough. Thomas lived in Edenriaghmore and is listed in the 1831 census with a household of 3 males and 5 females, all Presbyterian.

A Thomas Doherty of Edenreagh died 28 March 1908 and probate was claimed by his widow Mary Ann Doherty. This Thomas was 63 in 1901 and his wife Mary Ann was 40. It is hard decide whether this Thomas  (b c 1827) was a brother of William (b1842) of Enagh Lough or if he could be his father and was understating his age in 1901.

By the way. I think I have found the reason that the entry for Hugh Doherty at Killkeeraghmore in 1831 was so scanty is that he is recorded more fully under Hugh Dogherty; 4 males and 1 female, all Presbyterian.

I now think it is possible this Hugh is the Hugh Dogherty of Cromkill who died in 1901. I have yet to determine if he in turn was the father of the Hugh Doherty of Cromkill who died 1911.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 August 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
One piece of information I received last year is that there is an old disused cemetery at Enagh which is under the control of Derry City Council. It may be worth asking them for information.