Author Topic: Butcher ~ Woolgar Wonersh Surrey  (Read 8432 times)

Offline JDG

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Member
  • Butcher & Orlando One Name Studies
    • View Profile
Butcher ~ Woolgar Wonersh Surrey
« on: Monday 19 January 04 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I have been steadily trying to locate the marriage of John BUTCHER who married Mary surname unknown. They married circa 1822 and produced their offspring in Wonersh, my great great grandfather included.

According to the 1851 Census for Wonersh, Mary was born in Artington, yet a search of Artington and every parish in West Surrey has failed to produce a marriage. I have numerous documents that confirm that John Butcher was born in 1795 the illegitamate son of James Bucther and Sarah WOOLGAR ,who did marry in 1801 and produced one further offspring. In a document dated 1864 John Butcher does confirm that he is illegitamate, but he lived using the surname of Butcher and his will and death are registered in the name of Butcher.

While ploughing through the marriages of every John Butcher & John Woolgar  to a Mary, I came across the marriage in Hascombe in 1824 of a John to Mary STEVENS, who are producing children in Hascombe at the same time as my John is producing children in Wonersh.

There has been further discussions about this on the
Woolgar-L@rootsweb.com mailing list.

In the late 1980s I came across lots of documents which relate to our line of Butcher's in the, then Muniments Room at Guildford. I copied all these documents, and I believe these records now to be in the Surrey Records Centre at Woking.

My own branch of Butcher left Wonersh with Charles (son of Charles b 1823) moving to Puttenham and marrying  Annie Harris. They moved to Wanborough and farmed there. Charles died in 1943 and Annie died in 1972 at Onslow Village Guildford.

There were later  branches of the family that moved from Wonersh to Tooting & Hackney and then one that  emigrated to Canada in 1903.

Does this connect to anyone? And if anyone has the missing marriage, you would make me VERY happy in telling me!!
Regards,
Julie

Researching:
ORLANDO - One Name Study (everywhere & especially Sutera Sicily) - (GOONS 3925)
BUDD (Puttenham Surrey)
ELSTONE (Bramshott Hampshire)
GOUCHER (Scarcliffe Derbyshire)
MATTHEWS, Edith married Charles JELLEY 1902 Guildford. Descendants sought!
WORSHIP - One Name Study (especially Huntingdonshire)- (GOONS 3925)
BUTCHER - One Name Study (especially Wonersh Surrey) - (GOONS 3925)
Puttenham Surrey - One Place Study
Sutera Sicily - One Place Study

Offline twink

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Researching family history
    • View Profile
Re:Butcher ~ Woolgar Wonersh Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 04 19:43 BST (UK) »
Not sure of this is of any interest to you:

Their is a headstone in St Peter with All Saints, Chertsey:

'Sacred to the memory of ROBERT WOOLGER who departed this life Dec 21st 1847 in the ____ year of his age.  Also MATILDA wife of the above who died November ______ aged ___ years.

I hope to clarify the gaps soon.
Peters / Breden / Breeds / Evans + more, Garner / Ensbury / Beaver / Burgess + more, Elrick / Giles / Salmon / Parsons + more, Lucas / Webster / Austin / Chopping + more

Offline JDG

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Member
  • Butcher & Orlando One Name Studies
    • View Profile
Re:Butcher ~ Woolgar Wonersh Surrey
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 04 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information. I am not sure if it connects to
my line at all, but have added the details to the file.

Thanks once again
Regards,
Julie

Researching:
ORLANDO - One Name Study (everywhere & especially Sutera Sicily) - (GOONS 3925)
BUDD (Puttenham Surrey)
ELSTONE (Bramshott Hampshire)
GOUCHER (Scarcliffe Derbyshire)
MATTHEWS, Edith married Charles JELLEY 1902 Guildford. Descendants sought!
WORSHIP - One Name Study (especially Huntingdonshire)- (GOONS 3925)
BUTCHER - One Name Study (especially Wonersh Surrey) - (GOONS 3925)
Puttenham Surrey - One Place Study
Sutera Sicily - One Place Study

Offline Lewy

• RootsChat Senior
  • "My Nan: 1910 - 2003"
    • View Profile
Re: Butcher ~ Woolgar Wonersh Surrey
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I have just traced Woolgar's to my tree but starting much earlier - Daniel WOOLGAR 1714. He and wife Hannah (nee FRANCES) produced children in Wonersh around 1730 - drop me a line if you want more info.

Lewy
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis, Gladman, Billins, Pickton, Chandler, Rendell - London/Middlesex
Clarke, Firman, Sturgeon - Suffolk
Tully - Lambeth/St Pancras
Hulse - London/Surrey
Lott, White - Portsea, Hampshire
Cook - Wiltshire/Hampshire/Surrey
Martin -Dorset/Hampshire
Churchill - Dorset
Holt, Harris - Guildford/Godalming, Surrey
Trigg/Howard/Daws/Field?Novell - Chertsey, Surrey
Ives, Chobham, Surrey
Joyner, Cox - Oxon/Warwicks

Offline MHJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 August 05 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie we were touch several years ago.  Sorry you have still not found your John and Mary marriage. 

It was the Lewy message that really interested me because as you know I descend through Daniel and Hannah Francis, son Thomas to my grandmother Woolgar.  Would love to hear from him.

MHJ

Offline glw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 December 05 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am also descended from Daniel & Hannah via Thomas then Charles born 1781. I suppose you are not aware of any birth record being found for Daniel?
Best wishes, GLW

Offline MHJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 December 05 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for message.  I will not go into details at this time because I think we may have already met and been in touch after the Woolgar Gathering at Steyning some years ago now.  If this is not so I will gladly help you  although no news on where Daniel was born.  I think it will need old documents to trace him,  if there are any or they still exist.

I descend  through James and Ann Linegar.  My e.mail address is still the same although I have moved from Hambledon.

Margaret

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 August 09 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just doing some housekeeping on the Surrey boards and going through the oldest posts. Now there are further resources available it gives a chance for old posts to be looked at again to see if the information can be found or the chance for posters to say whether this information has been answered and this topic can be completed. If it can be completed please put completed into the title of this topic and it can be moved to Surrey completed (it is never lost off Rootschat) giving more space for other topics to be looked at again by all of us to see if we can help. If you are still looking for the information perhaps you can now add further details to help others search again for you.

Regards

Valda

Co-Surrey Moderator
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larry l

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,my name is John linegar from Gosport Hampshire,
     I am researching the family name and wondered if you have any information that may help me in this?.

J.Linegar 

Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spamming and other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thank you