Author Topic: Laura Bates - Bethnal Green 1871  (Read 834 times)

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Laura Bates - Bethnal Green 1871
« on: Saturday 12 July 14 05:53 BST (UK) »
Request look up of 1871 census - Laura Bates born abt 1871 Bethnal Green fancy paper box maker.

I have found her living with brother (John C Bates) aged 25 1891 poster varnisher - 42 Hague Street South West Bethnal Green - St Andrews

I came across this part of the family as I was searching Sarah S Sheppard and she was living with John C Bates and his wife (Martha) and two sons (Sidney J and Albert C) and his sister Laura S aged 19 years in 1891

Would like to confirm parents of John C and Laura which means finding them in earlier census with their parents - so was suggesting look up 1871 census for Laura

Any assistance sincerely appreciated .................. Alison - Australia

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Laura Bates - Bethnal Green 1871
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 July 14 06:48 BST (UK) »
Edward Bates   age 44 chair maker
Elizabeth  age 37
Edward age 9
Robert age 1
Elizabeth age 15
Emily age 8
Sarah age11
Caroline age 10
Laura age 3 months

Family living Hackney Road, Bethnal Green London . 1871 census

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 July 14 06:52 BST (UK) »
John C Bates is listed as John Charles Bates when he marries Martha Warrington in 1887 in Shoreditch

Possible family in 1881 but no Louisa Laura S Bates https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X3L1-CFS   

I would if Louisa is actually the couples daughter Sylvera born 1872 with her birth listing Laura as a middle name ???  Sylvera Laura Bates Births Sep Qtr 1871   Bethnal Green 1c 270

Kay

Edit  - John Charles Bates Marriage?
John Charles Bates  22 Spouse Martha Warrington  Marriage Date: 30 Jul 1887   Shoreditch, Middlesex, England
Father:    John Bates
Spouses Father: James Warrington

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 July 14 07:01 BST (UK) »
Just checked the image of the 1891 census for John C Bates and family.  Do you think his sister's name looks like Laura S Bates in terms of the middle intial

Kay

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 July 14 07:15 BST (UK) »
Kay - yes Laura S which is what my original post says, so not sure why you thought Louisa  ..... A

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 July 14 07:17 BST (UK) »
Normamac - not sure if this is correct Bates family - although it does have a young Laura

Laura was living with her brother John C Bates (who was 25 1891) so expect to see him with the family in 1871 but he is not there ............ thanks Alison

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 July 14 07:58 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the link to John C Bates as Sarah S Sheppard who was living with him and his sister Laura S were cousins (according to 1871 census) - so I need to identify the parents of John C and Laura S Bates to find the connection to Sarah's Sheppard family    I think Sarah's mother was Mary Ann Bates so am thinking that father of John C and Laura S is Mary's brother

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 July 14 12:41 BST (UK) »
Based on trees on Anc, which I think includes yours, the two Bates families don't seem to have an obvious connection.  Could Susan S Sheppard be a cousin of James C Bate's wife Martha Warrington??   

Martha's father - based on her marriage - was James Warrington.  However the 1851 census I think lists him a James Warrington Duff with wife Louisa b 1831 Shoreditch and there is a possible marriage in 1850 of a James Warrington Duff (father unknown) to a Louisa Sheppard in Bethnal Green   The marriage is online on Anc and lists Louisa as 19 of Crooked Billett? Yard and her father as John Shepherd General Dealer

Kay

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 July 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
Kay - what a puzzle of information - the clue is Crooked Billet Yard, Shoreditch that got me interested it is very confusing because there are several Sheppard (Shepherd) families in the same area with similar names - the Sheppard family I am connected to is the timber merchant/wood cutter/wood chopper at 5 Crooked Billet Yard
1871 census usually relates the relationship to the head of house so I thought Sarah S Sheppard as cousin was to John C Bates
Not sure how I am going to unravel the clues, but thanks ............... Alison