Author Topic: Inkberrow  (Read 15867 times)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Inkberrow
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 August 09 14:31 BST (UK) »
Bless you, RobPhill, for your input.  I didn't intend for anyone to pursue Ada OVERTON after marriage as I have details of her whereabouts in copy correspondence between the HOLMES daughters and their mother in the mid-1890s.

There are many misconceptions concerning the role of married women teachers in the Victorian era and I was attempting to 'map' the career of Ada prior to marriage, unfortunately without success!  However, since my return home I have undertaken a similar exercise for a perfect case study:  young married woman with 2 infants, a husband, father-in-law and sister-in law, moved from Limehouse, London to rural Hampshire in 1873 to take up the single-handed role of village Schoolmistress and proceeded to produce 5 further surviving offspring whilst husband continued as Journeyman Carpenter.  She retired from teaching in 1910 aged 65!  I'll be off to HRO in a couple of days to compare remunerations with her contemporary local Head Teachers ............. ::)
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobPhill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 August 09 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, JayDee,
Thanks for your reply, sorry I couldn't be of more help, but will keep on looking. It looks as though you have taken on a good research project with your ancestors. Where in Hampshire did they settle, as I live in Hampshire at Portsmouth, so I would be interested. Also a member of the Hampshire Genealogical Society, so if I can be of help, send me a pm.
Regards,
RobPhill

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 August 09 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi RobPhill

My maternal Hampshire interests evolved around the Kingsclere/Newbury area and my paternal bunch were late-comers in 1910 via Worcs/Staffs/Devon from Somerset roots, with the merging of two Gamekeeping families, so I've never felt the need to join HGS though I belong to Berks and Somerset & Dorset FH Societies.  I terminated my subs to GenesReunited because I'm not interested in accumulating numbers:  I want the social history with 'real' folk!

I have several projects 'on the go' at any one time - not necessarily confined to the activities of family members  ::) - as I have a very inquisitive nature and I'm fascinated with School Logs, Poor Law records, etc., etc!

dee-jay
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dennisc3

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 August 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
hi robphill

The set of books is long out of print. If anyone is interested, I have a full set for sale in good condition, though a previous owner has written a few family history notes on the back flysheets (mainly in pencil of                                           

Offline thomson10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 July 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi folks!

I wish I'd seen this thread before I left Hampshire for holiday in Wales last week!  I popped over from Brecon for a couple of hours' research at Worcestershire Record Office but was unsuccessful in my search of the Inkberrow School Log Books for any mention of Ada HOLMES, a great-aunt, who according to hearsay taught at a school there.

I found William COTTAM took charge of the Inkberrow Mixed School on 28 April 1873;  Miss JACKSON, Assistant Mistress, left in the summer of 1886 after 3 years' service;  Miss S.M. CLEE, Pupil Teacher in her 2nd year was transferred there from Bradley Green School and commenced duties on June 28th 1886.

The Staff List June 1887:

William COTTAM - Certificated Master - First Class
Frances Jane KEY - Assistant Mistress - Article 50
Sarah Maria CLEE - Pupil Teacher 2nd Year
Minnie J. KEY - Monitress

Minnie was 'promoted' to Pupil Teacher from 1st May 1889 and Ida Ellen KEY was to be appointed Monitress after the holidays.

If anyone should encounter any mention of Ada HOLMES in Inkberrow records, I'd be delighted to hear.  She married Edwin OVERTON at Leamington in October 1890 and there is no evidence to show her occupation at, or after, marriage, though she obtained her Teaching Certificate whilst employed as Teaching Assistant at All Saints, Leamington in 1885.

dee-jay

Hi,
William Cottam was my Great Grandfather and I show him as being in Inkberrow on the 1901 Census and as being the School Master. He was also a Church organist for St.Peter's church. He died in 1912, but not sure where he is buried.
Murray

Offline astwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
Extract from The Inkberrow book Inkberrow School
Headmaster Mr W Grossie left in 1873 and Mr William Cottam
came from a school in Kirby Lonsdale and stayed for 31 years
the first school board was formed in 1874 and when schooling
became compulsory the following year Mr Cottam spent much
of his spare time tramping long distances and visiting parents
of absentees before reporting them to the attendance officer
At the end of his long term of service Mr Cottam received a
testimonial from the board The Estimation in which he is held
by all the successive generations of scholars who had been
under his charge and the influence he still exercises for good
over them is the best possible testimony to his value as a
schoolmaster

Offline thomson10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information regarding William Cottam!!!!!!! I was told through family stories that he liked to joke, but at the same time was a stern and strict man. Now with the information that I have gained off this forum, it all makes sense! Once again thank you so much!

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 23:40 BST (UK) »

grassmoorgirl

Anybody got any infomation on the DAVIS Family of Inkberrow. There related families were FIELD, BALLARD.BARLOW & PENN just to name a few.Ta ,grassmoor girl

i know this is an old post, but the following maybe helpful. I am related to the Davis family of Inkberrow.

The Davis family were stonemasons, The Ballard family married into the Sollis family then the Davis clan.
Lots of these members emigrated to the USA during the 1880's

Best of luck
Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

Offline uncleagent61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 January 14 01:01 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if the person who started this post is still looking, but I have a lot of information on the Davis family of Inkberrow and the Field family of Tanworth-in-Arden. My 3 x gt grandfather Thomas Henry Davis, sculptor and stonemason, married Sarah Field, born Henley-in-Arden, at Tardebigge on 19 August 1817. The Fields go back to the C16 in Tanworth-in-Arden and Poole Field, who died in 1674, rebuilt Jerrings Hall Farm. The name Poole is used as a Christian name in each generation, and then the eldest son of Thomas Davis and Sarah Field was called Pool Field Davis. He was my 2 x gt grandfather and was also known as The Great Grenadier, because he was in the Grenadier Guards and was exceptionally tall (and broad!) The name Pool has gone on down the line via his youngest son, and then to America - this branch all went into the telegraphy business. I am descended from Pool Field Davis's eldest son, yet another Thomas Henry, who was a cable engineer working on telegraph cables to South America. Most of his children were born in Brazil before he came home and ran a telegraphy school in Lewisham.