Author Topic: Look-up in Fermoy Please  (Read 1275 times)

Offline WGoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Look-up in Fermoy Please
« on: Saturday 16 August 14 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Would someone be able to assist me with a look-up for Mary (my GG Grandmother) and her family:

Mary Hayes  (middle name might be Ann)
b.   abt. 1829 - Fermoy, Co. Cork
m.  17 July 1852 - St Anne’s Shandon, United Church of England and Ireland, City of Cork*
d.   16 August 1898 - Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia  (69 years)

*  Mary married William Munday - b. May 1818, Hull, England
He was in the military, stationed in Co. Cork.
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~garter1/william%20Munday.htm

Mary's parents are:
James Hayes - he is listed as a farmer on Mary's Marriage Certificate
and
? Leslie

Before Mary got married she was living in Barracton.  Would that have been in Fermoy or Cork?

I would love to find out about Mary's siblings and her parents; and I'm hoping you can help me.

Thanks you.

Wendy
Goodall  -  Lewis  -  Fitzgerald  -  Curran
Munday  -  Waterworth  -  Hayes  -  Lee
MacKinnon  -  McKinnon  -  Nicholson  -  Cameron
Wilcox  -  Bonser  -  Needham  -  Taylor

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up in Fermoy Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 August 14 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy   have you looked at www.rootsireland.ie Baptism/marriage records for North East Cork
a Pay to view records site
www.nationalarchives.ie has Tithe Applotment & Griffith Valuation records. Good Luck :)

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up in Fermoy Please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 August 14 13:35 BST (UK) »

Barrackton is an area on the Northern side of Cork city.   The Victoria barracks was located there.
See ordnance survey map of that area which included some terraced houses outside the barracks.

There was  a previous query on rootschat about Barrackton so this is the link to the answer which is very helpful.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=624827.0

Barrackton covered quite a large area , included the Barracks, Officers Mess, Guard Room, and a lot of private houses close to the actual barracks.    If you can't see the map on the above link, just enter Barrackton on the search option on rootschat and it will come up.

Do you know for a fact that Mary's mother's maiden surname was LESLIE?  There should be a lot of information on the internet about families with Leslie as surname.   

Have you purchased the marriage cert for Mary Hayes.   It would appear to be a Church of Ireland marriage, as it took place at St.Ann's Shandon.    Church of Ireland marriage certs from 1845 onwards are available to purchase from the General Register office, in Ireland.  That might contain more information than you already have.   

Hayes is a fairly common surname in Ireland and would generally be a Catholic surname.

It might be worth while looking for a birth record for your Mary Hayes on rootsireland as ~Ballydw has already suggested.   

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,