Author Topic: Drogheda death 1953  (Read 11518 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Drogheda death 1953
« on: Monday 07 May 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
I have no experience of researching in the Republic - I'd be grateful for help / hints.
I'm interested in CHRISTOPHER BUCKLEY, death registered in Drogheda, 1953 (exact date not known).
I'm still trying to trace my paternal grandfather who left his family around 1932, when my late father was six or so. A family tradition has it that he went to live in Ireland, though he had no family connections there. He was born in Rochdale in December 1895. Any clues, hints gratefully received on how I might find whether the Christopher Buckley who died in Drogheda in 1953 was or was not my grandfather.
Ian

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Drogheda death 1953
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 May 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
The Irish BMD Index is available on the FamilySearch website and covers Southern Ireland upto 1958. See :

BMD Index - Ireland

If you locate a possible match, then you can use the references to order a death cert from the GRO. Be aware that death certs dont include much detail, so you may need additional clues from other sources e.g. (deceased's occupation, address etc) to verify a link.

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
         Details included on a Death Cert

and : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 12 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I did as you suggested and looked at the Irish BMD, discovering that the Christopher Buckley who died in Drogheda in 1953 was the right age. Certainly worth further investigation.
My family tradition (dimly remembered) has Christopher going to Limavady to work in a 'pot shop', which I realise can mean either a bar or a shop selling china. Of course, I may have misremembered and the family story may be just that - a story. He was a joiner by trade. His own father died in 1943 in Rochdale, Lancashire. The informant named on the death certificate is 'C Buckley, son'. I was perfectly possible during the war to travel from Ireland to England.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 12 13:03 BST (UK) »
Do you mean the Limavady in County Londonderry? it's nowhere near Drogheda. The online civil registration index only goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 May 12 13:30 BST (UK) »
 As I said - Limavady features as a detail in a not-very-believable family story. Besides - if my grandfather went off to Limavady in the early 1930s, there's no reason why he might not have moved to the Republic at a later date.

I ought to have added in my first post that my grandfather was christened CHRISS Buckley (unusual spelling), though the authorities may have preferred the form 'Christopher'.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 May 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
I though from you original post that you weren't sure exactly when Christopher Buckley died or even where he was after 1932?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 May 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Just reading between the lines.....did your family tell your that Christopher died in Ireland and are therefore looking for a death cert to tie in with this story ??

Where did you get the year 1953 from, was this from family or just the only cert you found to match his birth year ?

Even if you do order the death cert for 1953, there would most likely be very little on it confirm whether of not he was your grandfather.

Irish Death certs for that time will just give you the person's name, where they died, what they died of, and who registered the death. So if he was in Ireland with no family, it's unlikely you will get many leads. Sometimes occupation at time of death is entered, so you could hope that it says Joiner, but again you said he went to work in a shop (or this is the family's story), so again may not get any leads from this.

Is there a chance that he actually returned to Britain too and may have died there ?

Tara

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 May 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
So far the only death of a Chriss, Chris or Christopher Buckley that ties in with his year of birth is the 1953 death in Drogheda. There are no exact matches in the England BMD, though there are a couple of near matches in the Manchester area. Research has led me to rule out one of them - the other remains a possibility. I have to say, I would be quite surprised if the Drogheda death was my grandfather, but in view of the family story about him going to Ireland, I have to try to find ut more about the Drogheda Christopher Buckley. I was someone on a Lancashire mailing list that alerted me to the Drogheda death.
You are right - I don't know anything for certain after his disappearance from my father's life in 1932 - except that I'm 95% certain he was the informant named on his father's death certificate, Rochdale 1943.
It's possible that my grandfather found another wife (or 'wife') and had a second family. As you say, I'm not likely to learn much from a death certificate.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 May 12 15:11 BST (UK) »
Quite often the death certificate lists name and residence of the informant- no further clues on it? If you had a location in 1943 your search would be much easier.