Author Topic: William and Eliza CARTER and family to Victoria in 19thC...  (Read 11038 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William and Eliza CARTER and family to Victoria in 19thC...
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith and Anne Caroline

I found the BDM info above a little difficult to follow, but a very interesting find - especially as the rest of the family seem to be hiding.  I think it comes from the AVRI and probably the Tasmanian archives. This is the link for the archives

http://www.archives.tas.gov.au/  and this for the indexes
http://www.archives.tas.gov.au/nameindexes

Given the timeframe, if your William did end up in Hobart, there would be a better than 50/50 chance he was a convict. There were, however, from the archives site 17 William Carters who were sent to Tasmania  ??? and age is not mentioned in the list! You could discount a few who came before 1830, but still many left.  I believe it was not uncommon for wives  with/without children to follow their husbands to Australia - but I doubt it was a very frequent event.

Apart from Lydia Carter (if she is yours) I can see none of the other children in the Family links data base (which is taken from the Tas BDM records to 1900). These are the same BDM records that are on the AVRI.

These are the Tasmanian records I have

Marriage 1846 Ref 2313 Lydia Tidmarsh Carter aged 21 M Lavington ROOPE Aged 25

Children - All Births
George 6 Jan 1847 Ref 2187
Female 25 May 1848 Ref 1080
Female 9 July 1849 Ref 1678
Female 17 Jul 1850 Ref 2700
Male 27 Jul 1851 Ref 907
Male 22 Dec 1860 Ref 1861/4128
Raymond Hamilton 25 Oct 1857 Ref 1858/1310

Deaths
Alice ROOPE age 11 8 Jan 1860 (presumably the lass born July 1849) ref 1866
Lydia Tidmarsh ROOPE age 40 8 Sep 1864 Ref 4689
Lavington ROOPE age 60 29 Jun 1881 ref 3197

NSW can be checked online at www.bdm.nsw.gov.au - follow the family history links

The closest I found for a death of William Carter that suits your information were 2  from Victoria
Death: William Carter Father: Robert Mother Mary Evans Age 81 Birthplace UNK Year 1878 Ref 10035
Death: William Carter Parents Unknown Birthplace Unknown Age 77 Year 1871 Ref 5814

The first has the wrong mother (but is the right age), the second is a few years out on age. Informants often got both of these items incorrect - but neither of these may be your man.

Victorian death certificates can be downloaded - they cost $17.50 (abt 7 pounds) so expensive if not the correct one!

There are a number of links to Vic immigration & other information on the Victorian Links thread at the top of the board which may be useful. Some of the indexes available are here

http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguide023/PROVguide023.jsp

The Tas Archives staff are very helpful. I don't know of alot of Tas immigration that is online, but the records are at the archives. If you browse the site it may tell you where to look - or if you can find nothing you can try an email to the archives.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 15:32 BST (UK) »
Trish,
This is great, lots of lovely extra info and things to ponder.  As you say, the possibility that, for whatever reason, William CARTER was sent to Australia against his will is becoming a definite possibility, and one that I need to pursue.  The family didn't seem to be short of a bob or two, so perhaps it wasn't something straightforward, such as petty larceny, but who knows?
keith

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 15:36 BST (UK) »
It seems it will take some finding - remember that the convict possibility increases IF he went to Tasmania. Much as it used to be denied, if your ancestors came from Tas before 1850, the odds were fairly good that they were convicts. If they went direct to Victoria (& todate only one is found in Tasmania) there were no convicts there at all.

Have fun searching  :)

Trish

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Trish,
So what kind of settlement was Tasmania in the 1840's...?
keith

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Trish,
I've just been poking about on the website of the state library of Tasmania, and here's the link:
http://images.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/SubjectIndex/Default.asp?Letter=C
If you click on a William CARTER, there's a picture of a man whose dates are given as ca. 1796-1878, and he was a politician, and there's a photo of him.
Sounds like the same individual as you pointed out earlier in this thread, or am I mistaken.  And do you know anything more about this particular person...?
keith
N.B. This person seems to be listed under several headings: Politicians, Merchants, Sales Personnel and Men - Tasmania History.  Strange that year of birth fits, father's name fits, where born fits, but mother's name is all wrong...

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

The library & archives folk in Tas are very user friendly. I would find a contact us or "ask a librarian" & query them about his background - they will know much more than me & if nothing else it will cancel him as your man.

The Victorian death certificate would/should list the children of the man who died there. They are online at

http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/servlet/bdm_home  but costly!  Also dependent on the informant & if it is your man, we are suggesting the informant got the mother incorrect!  Death certificates also usually give the length of time in each Australian state (for folks born outside Oz)

There should also be a web site for the Tas Parliament which will probably have information on him (perhaps his beginnings)

Trish

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

The following is what the Tas parliment says about him.

http://www.parliament.tas.gov.au/history/tasparl/carterw47.htm

I'll check probate records see if he left a will.  I'll also check newspaper records of the day.

regards

Genni

All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 00:08 BST (UK) »
hello there

here is a link

http://www.parliament.tas.gov.au/history/tasparl/carterw47.htm

to more information about William Carter Politication, it says he died in Melbourne in 1878  so  the  possibility of him being your chap  in even better   I also noted on the State Library of Tasmania  a  parcel  of documents on the Carter family  but  have no idea of knowing  if it is yours or not  but  as Trisha says  the library do a very good llook up service!

What a wonderfull lot of information  you  have recieved  from  Anne  and Trisha 

regards Jenn

ps now noticed that Genni  had supplied  the same  link  I  hadn't checked my emails!
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 00:27 BST (UK) »
hello there
this link  will give you some further insight into Lavington Roope

http://members.tassie.net.au/~jreynold/history.html

happy browsing
regards jenn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au