Author Topic: great-grandaughter in search of WOOD family in Scotland  (Read 10842 times)

Offline Crystalll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
great-grandaughter in search of WOOD family in Scotland
« on: Sunday 01 May 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hello there, I am searching for my ancestor and family history without any luck ???. I am hoping that  someone( or family perhaps)  will recognize the names and be able to help me out. Living in Canada isn't easy to find information that  one would like to find without knowing the counties or townships of Scotland. I do know they were from the Aberdeen region. I am searching my fathers mothers  side of the family. Any help  would be greatly appreciated  :)

As much information as I have to go on is as  follows:
my grandmothers parents were: George Wood( at least  pre 1913)
                                                Elizabeth Patterson Wood (same,  pre 1913)
she had 2 sisters that i knew of:
                                               Ruth Wood
                                               Mary Wood ( immigrated to Canada after WW2, married name is  Haskins)
and my grandmothers name was:
                                               Helen Howitt Wood- born May 9, 1925 ( immigrated to Canada in 1945 after the birth of her eldest son Victor Lawrence Jr., and after  WW2, her married name was  Lawrence,  married to Victor Lawrence Sr.)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: great-grandaughter in search of WOOD family in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 May 11 16:07 BST (UK) »
my grandmothers parents were: George Corbet Wood
                                                Elizabeth Patterson ( Ross, married 1923, St Nicholas, Aberdeen)
                                               Ruth Wood
                                               Helen Howitt Wood- born May 9, 1925 ( immigrated to Canada in 1945 after the birth of her eldest son Victor Lawrence Jr., and after  WW2, her married name was  Lawrence,  married to Victor Lawrence Sr.)
You will find them on Scotlands People.

Regards

Malky

Offline Crystalll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 May 11 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Malky.  I am just  waiting to hear from my 2nd cousin, daughter of   the only living  relative Mary Haskins, nee- Wood  to see if this would be correct. Her memory has faded so this might spark a  memory!  still  searching  tho   ;D

Offline Crystalll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 May 11 06:53 BST (UK) »
 ??? I don't  understand why no one  else has  replied but you Malky?????? Maybe  my Surname  isn'y of great  improtance......  but it is  for me....    :'(  please  anyone????   Malky already  tried..... nolt the  samed  according  to my  great Aunt  Mary......... :'( ??? :(

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 11 07:21 BST (UK) »
Probably a combination of several factors

a) It's a holiday weekend here in Scotland
b) The weather is gorgeous
c) Maybe those who have looked don't recognise the names  :)
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 May 11 09:50 BST (UK) »
my grandmothers parents were: George Wood( at least pre 1913)
                                                Elizabeth Patterson Wood (same, pre 1913)
                                               Ruth Wood

Helen Howitt Wood b 1925 St Nicholas, Aberdeen (certificate not available online.)
Ruth Cobble Wood b 1927 St Nicholas, Aberdeen (certificate not available online.)
There are a few Mary's, not sure which is your one.
Cant find a marriage between a george wood and a eliz. pat(t)erson - what do you mean by "pre-1913"
Also can you tell me why you discount Malky's post re a George C Wood +  Eliz. Paterson Ross?  On scotlands people there are no george woods that marry an elizabeth with a surname of paterson - but there is one elizabeth with a middle name of paterson.  with this particular lady it looks from the certificate that she was born Ross, but her father must have passed away, whereupon the mother remarried, and remarried a man name paterson, which elizabeth took as her name. And George Corbet Wood's mothers name is Howitt!!  Does seem that Malky's found your g grandparents marriage  :D

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 May 11 09:53 BST (UK) »
Also on reflection, this is probably your Mary Wood...

Mary Mutch Ross Wood b 1928 St Nicholas

Elizabeth's mothers maiden name was Mutch, and her first married name was Ross, and her forename was Mary!

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 May 11 10:40 BST (UK) »
??? I don't  understand why no one  else has  replied but you Malky?????? Maybe  my Surname  isn'y of great  improtance......  but it is  for me....    :'(  please  anyone????   Malky already  tried..... nolt the  samed  according  to my  great Aunt  Mary......... :'( ??? :(

Hi

As fifer1947 said it is a holiday weekend in the UK, also 20th century research tends to be more difficult than 19th century as not as much information is available online.

Scotlandspeople (a pay-per-view website)  http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ is the Scottish Government website to use. What you need is a copy of your grandmothers (or one of her sisters) birth certificates as these will give you your great grandmothers maiden name and date and place of greatgrandparents marriage.
Unfortunately the births are too recent to be able to download from Scotlandspeople so you may need to purchase a copy of a birth certificate from the General Register Office of Scotland unless one of your family has a copy.
Once you have the information from the birth certificate you should be able to find and download a copy of your greatgrandparents marriage registration. This will give you their ages and parents enabling you to go back further.

Andy

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 May 11 14:28 BST (UK) »
Malky already  tried..... not the  same  according  to my  great Aunt  Mary.........

George Corbet Wood married Elizabeth "Patterson" "Ross", 1923, St Nicholas, Aberdeen

Mary Rennie Patterson Wood born 1923 St Nicholas, Aberdeen. (Middle name link "Patterson") She passed on in 2008 in Aberdeen, so that eliminates her, due to the Canadian situation.

Helen Howitt Wood, born 1925, St Nicholas, Aberdeen. (As per your own post.)

Ruth Cobble Wood born 01/12/1927, St Nicholas, Aberdeen. (Only birth of a "Ruth Wood" born between 1915 and 1940 in St Nicholas, Aberdeen.) Death, 02/12/1927, accidental suffocation in bed, 1 day old, father and mother listed as above,  at 4 Darlington Place, West-North Street, St Nicholas, Aberdeen.

Mary Mutch Ross Wood, born 1928, St Nicholas, Aberdeen. (Middle name link "Ross")

I wonder if this is raising questions that are preferred to be left alone/unanswered. The accidental death of Ruth, may still be affecting the living who were directly related to her.

The only way to sort this out, is to go to a registrars and look at the parents of Helen Howitt Wood and cross reference them with Mary Mutch Ross Wood and Ruth Wood, as we know who Ruth's parents were. I also suspect that there are more children born post 1923.

Regards

Malky.